Fly Tying
Shaq

Colorado 8/12-813

OK, I know I'm not a regular in the Realistic thing, and spend alot of time in the salmon /steelhead section but I do have a stone nymph posted somewhere in here. I Floated the Blue River in Colorado this weekend and we were catching ome good fish but there were some slobs down there, so I put on the realistic stone, see "My Patterns" and started CRUSHING the fish. The Colorado Guides were like, What is that HOT fly. It was Magical. we had a 2 fly rig, woolly bugger and the nymph and 2 outa 3 were on the stone!! I destroyed the 2 realistics I had and had to go to the kaufman but here is the fruits of the labor.

post-49-1124372442.jpg

Hey Shaq,

Great story and a very nice picture.

I agree with Dale, we must keep our little secret about big trout being more easily fooled with realistic flies, otherwise there will be fewer pigs and crocodiles when we hit the water.

Graham

I thought Dale SELLS realistics by the dozen...??? This should help him out. I know my buddies, (Who are the colorado guides) they aren't telling the other outfitters about this...and I ain't teaching fly tying. It was nice after a day of fishing and tying #24 midge larvae on the leader to get the #8 fly out and slay em.

I do sell them ... however from what I have heard few make it to the water ... they end up in a frame.

The ones that do are sworn to secrecy. biggrin.gif

Shaq...Well, I certainly won't tell anyone innocent.gif Same thing happened to me this past Fall when the Chinook were running in a local creek. I wasn't getting much to hook with my woolies and the like so I tied on a Perlodes Stonefly featured in Fly Tying Magazine by Paul Whillock and BAM! I can't say anything more...I'm sworn to secrecy rolleyes.gif And, it doesn't have to a great looking realistic...Keep up the good catchin'...SullyTM