Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
EasternSierras

Tying a More Durable Perdigon

I've recently started tying some Perdigon style flies, mainly the Gasolina and Rainbow Warrior to start off with. They've been great on the river putting me onto a lot of nice brown trout but sometimes after a few trout I find the krystal flash or mylar starting to unravel. I use Loon UV Clear Thin to coat my flies and do not use hemostats when removing the fly. All my Perdigons are tied on barbless hooks so when netted either the hook falls out or I am able to remove the hook with my fingers. I was wondering if there are techniques to make these flies more durable. I've read that UV Craft Resin may be better than the Loon at adhering to some of these synthetic materials and if I add a thread or micro tubing rib that it may help the UV adhere better to the fly. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

you can swipe the hook shank with super glue prior to wrapping the body material forward. let dry completely. then apply your uv resin coating

stick with the loon resin and coat the entire body.

i see uv resins as coatings not glues

Thanks for the response. Just curious about staying with the Loon resin. This is my first time tying Perdigons so I randomly purchased the Loon and have never tried any of the other UV coatings like Solarez or UV Craft. Thanks.