Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Backcountry jig order

Locally the weather has been terrible for a few days now -and as i write this no end in sight until maybe the end of the coming week with wind and rain - followed by rain and wind (you get the idea).   What to do?  No flies that need tying and my rodcrafting won't get going again until at least one more lure order goes out the door... so here's this morning's efforts... This is a small backcountry bucktail jig order - and it will hit the Post Office first thing on Monday, hopefully...

CS93wnH.jpg 

Twenty of them (along with one for my skiff...)  five each, with 3/8oz heads - in the following colors -  red and white, chartreuse with chartreuse and white tail,  and red and white with two grizzly neck hackles... and lastly ,  all pink (this one only with 1/4oz heads), ready to package and send.  The heads are powder coated - then baked for hardness, all with black nickel, razor sharp hooks... 

Now for a bit of rod-wrapping, next on the agenda.... I make almost all of the rods for my anglers to use - so when we break one or two - replacements are needed...

These days I'm fifty - fifty between lure making and fly tying... but only doing flies for my guiding efforts presently... Not building fly rods anymore either since I just can't make one quick enough when we break one (and we break some rods each year working the backcountry.... I am able to quickly replace a broken spinning or plug rod though (and have two with handles glued up ready to wrap... they're next on the agenda).  If I'm ever forced to quit guiding and still able I'll come back to commercial fly tying again as well... I like to keep busy.  In the years I was tying for guides, anglers and shops (and at times filling orders for three different shops.) it was strictly an evening and weekends endeavor...   I'm probably a poster child for "be careful what you wish for...."