Fly Tying
Slate_Drake_9

Cottarelli vs others - size 24 and smaller hooks?

Ditto on the HMH Micro jaws mentioned by Flytire, and the (old) Dyna-King midge jaws are great too.  I have tied mostly small flies (18-24) for many years and find those two options to be stellar.  I'm just getting familiar with, and breaking-in my Petitjean Master Vise, but so far it is performing nicely as well.  The key with small flies is to apply sufficient pressure to hold the hook securely, without stressing the metal in the hook - it will break at a most inopportune time if the metal is fatigued (i.e., while hooking/fighting a fish) - this is particularly important with small hooks.  I think I would still rank the HMH Micro jaw highest, followed closely by the Dyna-King Midge jaw.   

FYI, if you pursue the Marc Petitjean Master Vise, you can purchase through Ed's Fly shop in Colorado, without getting into all the US tariffs and European VAT taxes.  Just make sure you carefully select the right (model) vise for your needs - the Master made the most sense to me; easy to customize, converts between pedestal and C-clamp at your convenience, and comes with tube fly accessories. 

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/products/interchangable-jaws?variant=43244983288037&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=18001865715&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-62tBhDSARIsAO7twba3DO27C1ImBHyBD3VK6pMq7HVYEoNxZzecb21W1a8T-Bu-fxjTQ1saAilNEALw_wcB 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9WskBbooaU 

Regards,  

I tied a couple of size 24 larva.  From the last issue of Fly Tyer.  My 4000 did just fine, but the fly is yellow yarn with an extra fine copper wire.  They look OK.  I don't have tippet fine enough and couldn't see the eye clearly enough to tie on a tippet, if I had one. Which I don't and I won't.  For me just an exercise in  passing fancy.