Fly Tying
LisaLou

Magnetic Indicator base question

I saw a device on auction as a fly thing vise, but it is a magnetic indicator base, commonly used by machinists.  Is there a machinist out there that can give their opinion of the holding strength of one of these bases?  I use a metal typing desk and love anything magnetic.  Would this style of base be strong enough to be repurposed as a fly vise base?  Maybe to hold a bobbin cradle or parachute device?    I know there are many different sizes of magnets used, so mileage would vary.  I could even see it as a lamp base, tying background plate holder, or a rod for draping materials to stage them.  I’m sure it could handle that and be very useful as a multitasking base.  but I would like to know if  one has got the strength to not bob up and down under the pressure of tying.  I also noticed there are stationary rods and other mounted on a ball joint.  Thanks, LL

Edited by LisaLou
Link did not embed properly

Look for the "on/off" type base, as they generate a far greater amount of holding power. The cheap bases are sort of "tippy" but the other type I mentioned will hold far better.