Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Seaducers (my version)

This time of year I'm prepping up for the busiest part of my annual bookings down here in south Florida.  We go year round here -but these next two or three months will see the most visitors (and keep me busy...).  This is one of my go to patterns, specifically when we're working up shallow and sight fishing the the 'glades out of either the interior (backcountry) or the vast shallows of Florida Bay.  I do these in every color under the sun - this one is a favorite.  I also do them in various sizes - this one a good average size for redfish, speckled trout, snook, and small tarpon (anything under fifty pounds is a "small tarpon:"...).  This is a suspending pattern and it's deadly on any fish we encounter with a proper presentation using a strip... pause... strip, retrieve...

RHNyxi3.jpg

This version of Chico Fernandez's famous Seaducer is done in grizzly/white and features a wire weedguard (very handy working over grass flats or mangrove jungle shorelines)

Hook:     Mustad 34007, size #1 (with barb flattened and point triangulated with a 4" mill bastard file)

Thread:  Danville's flat waxed nylon Fl. Red

Tail:        Six wide, webby bleached white saddle hackles 

Body:     Two of the same saddles, tied in butt first then palmered forward with as much of the "fluff" left on  each saddle as possible

Head:      One wide, webby, grizzly saddle palmered in as noted above

Weedguard:   Malin's stainless leader wire, size #4

Eyes:        Solid plastic doll eyes, 7mm, with the stem clipped away, secured one at a time using Fletch-Tite, an arrow maker's cement...

After each eye is cemented in place it's held tightly with a clothes pin for about five minutes... these eyes are much more durable than 

the holographic eyes most use...