Fly Tying
Thibodeau

Dyeing Organza

OK, now that I've found all the organza I'll ever need at Wall Mart does any one know how to dye it? Is it the same procedure as with cloths? What can I use to get a tan color for caddis wings? What's out there? And how can I use it? Oh and how do I get that Mottled look to it?? That's a lot of questions isn't it? Wait that was another question. Or was It? blink.gif crazy.gif

You should take a piece and test it to see if it will accept any coloring (use anything that stains). I am not sure what it is made of or if it will accept a dye. If it does hold a color, just type in dye or dying on a search and you will get more info than you ever will need. My only advice to add when ever dying is never let your better half, mom, or anyone else in charge of the kitchen see you. Good luck

T

Hi Thibodeau,

I usually dye hair and hackle at about 140 degrees F. Organza (and organdy) is best dyed at about 120. I've found it will "crinkle" at higer temperatures. Like any fabric, it is very easy to dye. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hi again Thibodeau,

I missed the part about mottling when I first read your post. The method I use employs an old tooth brush and a section of widow screen. Start by dying the fabric the base color, let's say tan. Let it dry. Mix a very concentrated dye bath of a darker color, let's say dark brown. Dip the tooth brush in the concentrate, hold the screen above the tan fabric, and "scrub" the brush over the screen. The amount of mottling is adjusted by the distance of the screen to the fabric and how much darker dye to add to the tan fabric. Good luck & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com