Fly Tying
harleyhunter

Lead substitute

Hey guys,

I'm new to tying. I wanna start some streamer patterns but most require lead wire. What is a good substitute for this besides beads and cones. I really want something in a wire form. Also where can I get it in a .25 to .35 size? Thanks ahead of time all.

Sam

You wanting something that is not lead but still in wire form? I have seen some tungsten stretch lace but have heard mixed reviews on it. dunno.gif

Hey Smalliehunter,

Yes to weigh down the streamers like wooly buggers. I actually just found a lead free weight wire from J. Stockard its about 60% the density of lead and comes in both sizes. So i guess you just use more wraps to equal out the difference in weight. I should of researched it more first. But if anyone has another type I'm open to ideas. Thanks

Sam

QUOTE (skunkaroo @ Sep 15 2005, 10:00 AM)
An inexpensive alternative to lead wire is fine guage lead-free solder (obviously buy the kind without the flux core).

Aaron

Good idea! somebody's always thinking

You can also just use copper wire.

Hi Sam,

I have to vote for solder. Why? Because I have a lot. In another life I was a manager for an operating telephone company. In the mid 80's they discontinued solder connections and went to wire wrap. They hauled truck loads of solder to the dump. One of those trucks found its way to my place. I've been supplying it to friends for about 20 years. I'm down to three or four spools of it now. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Dan Bailey's also carries some non-toxic lead alternative in .015, .025, and .035", but they're pretty pricey. I've been using mostly copper wire with a coat of lacquer to keep it from tarnishing and bleeding color through on light flies. The flux-free solder idea is a great one, though.