Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishigan

It's about the reel.

In the 7-9 wt reel range (salmon and steelhead)  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What are you looking for when the game is on and the fish is fresh?

Feel free to comment about what the 4th, 5th etc...etc.. things are. The more info I get the better.

Its hard to pick just one out of those options for me.

In my salmon&steelhead reels this is what I look for. First and foremost it HAS to have a STRONG yet SMOOTH drag system on it, has to be machined and light weight, smooth action on the retrieve, easy to adjust drag.....and it cant have a loud annoying clicker on the retrieve or the drag, i hate that :angry:

Matt black finish is also a plus IMO to keep the reflection down.

SD

That's the input I'm looking for. Thanks dude.

I like the solid drag, easy adjusting while in battle, then super smooth action. Then I look at 4th design and 5th capacity.

I think smooth is the most important. But I think strong and machined is inherrent to anything with a smooth action. When you got a fish screaming down the river, you don't want your arm pumping like a steam piston from an unbalnced reel. Your only gonna use the drag your leader allows you to. But again, the stronger drag systems contribute to that smoothness. Looks are a strong quality, but I think when a reel is made with optimum performance, people are gonna use it, then the competition are gonna make theirs look like it too.

Looking at the I might have worded that "drag that can stop a truck" wrong. My meaning was for a drag that could handle say a dozen or so steelhead that are fresh and fast in a day with out failing.

It depends on what you are you using it for

for me cost is a big factor

for steelhead I want something with a good drag

for local trout drag is not inporant to me

a machined reel is better but more money

most of mine are okuma reels for the money you just can not beat them and they are a good reel

Fcflyguy

For my limited salmon experience I would say that a large arbor with a good drag is a must. I went into my backing several times trying to land one of those beasts so the extra backing on a large arbor is defienly a plus.

Personally, I used a Bass Pro White River 8wt setup and honestly it held up to a week of salmon fishing and the dragged held up nicely and had no real problems. I think those reels are like $40 or something. I don't like the setting on my Okuma reel near as much as the one on the Bass Pro reel for some reason.

Actually Will, there is less backing on a large arbor reel. The main advantage of a LA reel is that it picks up more inches of line per revolution than a standard arbor. The less backing really doesnt pose to much of a problem though because most times if a salmon gets that far away from you then you wont land him anyways. I usually just use a standard arbor harris and load it with a ton of backing, that way it "acts" like a large arbor but I also have that extra backing there just for peace of mind.

Actually Will, there is less backing on a large arbor reel. The main advantage of a LA reel is that it picks up more inches of line per revolution than a standard arbor. The less backing really doesnt pose to much of a problem though because most times if a salmon gets that far away from you then you wont land him anyways. I usually just use a standard arbor harris and load it with a ton of backing, that way it "acts" like a large arbor but I also have that extra backing there just for peace of mind.

I have the same thoughts. When I DO get into the backing, a lot of the time there is somebody helpful downstream with a net anyway. I would even bet a standard arbor would hold up better in the long run than the large with less leverage on the axis, maybe that's nitpicking? Besides they're easier to stow than a large arbor. :P :lol:

I think we can all agree that all the factors of a reel are important. For me the most important thing is a good smooth solid drag when fighting any salmon whether it's pinks and reds on my 5 wieght, silvers and chums on my 9 or kings on my 9 or 10. You can get away with a decent drag for salmon in small rivers in alaska or great lakes tribs but nothing short of excellent will work for a fresh salmon especially kings or chums in the open ocean or lake close to the ocean. I have to say i like the screaming reel myself, it sounds good to me!

I also have to say the second most important thing is that my reel is machined, they are just more durable. I also have to say i prefer large arbor reels, and if you get the right one you can hold plenty of backing. My 9 wieght reel has a 250 yards of backing on it and picks up line reel fast. This is a big plus when a big salmon takes out 200 yards of line because the faster you can reel them in the less time the fish has to get off.

to me stop a truck drags just are not needed to many people put way to much drag in these reels. when you are only useing 20%of the tippets breaking strength the most you will use on a large fish like marlin on 30 pound tipet is 6 pounds and on 10 pound tippet for salmon you are useing 2 pounds of presher measured with a spring scale at the reel not the tip top this is mostly why break offs on light tippet happen :devil:

good luck and tight lines rhino

hay steel drifter it rhino iam on this site now to

I think that there is too much of a fixation on drags on fly reels. For most fish, I only set the drag just enough to keep it from free spooling. I'll use my palm or finger tips to control to slow down a fish. The only fish that get any special attention from my drag setting are Tarpon, Permit and Bonefish.

For me, the reel has to be pleasing to the eye, it could be the best reel in the world, but if it looks ugly to me, i aint goint to buy it.

After that, a smooth action and a well designed drag are what i look for.