Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jjhaag

Howdy

Hi all,

I've come across this forum a number of times looking for patterns, tips, and techniques, so I figured that it was about time that I signed up and introduced myself.

My name is Josh, and I'm currently living in Michigan and going through grad school. I've been fly fishing since I was maybe belt-high on an average person, and tying flies since I was about seven. After a hiatus that lasted through most of college, because of a student budget and roommates creeped out by animal parts lying around, I've finally gotten back into tying in a serious way.

I'm originally from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and it's still the place I think of as home. My home water is the Crowsnest River in southern Alberta, where we've got a little cabin along the river. I've been trying to do more fishing out here, but it's been sort of slow adapting to new water, new fish, and new bugs. My recent tying has been mostly to round out the collection of local insects, but I've also recently gone non-toxic for all my fishing, which means that I have a lot of nymphs to replace. But the fun of tying is the major reason I do it, and part of me thinks that the lead-free decision was in part an excuse to have a huge number of flies to tie over the coming fall and winter.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, let you know that this is a great forum, and that I hope I can contribute as much as I've already taken away from it.

Cheers, Josh

Welcome from a fellow Michigander, where abouts in MI are you Josh? you'll notice a bunch of other MI guys here as well.

Glad you decided to join us and hope you enjoy the site.

SD

sd - i'm at u of michigan, so based out of ann arbor much of the year. however, my field work means that I spend most of the summers up in the cheboygan/pellston region, up at U of M's biological station. tip of the mitt region.

sometimes seems that most of the forum members are from these parts. hope to run into y'all streamside.

-j

Welcome Josh!

And welcome to Michigan! I'm located north of detroit in Mt. Clems. I don't know if I will run into you up north, but if you do any smallie fishing, I might run into you on the Huron river.

BFR