Fly Tying
jjhaag

egg-sucking leech color schemes?

I mostly see the ESL tied with a black/chartreuse or black/salmon pink scheme. I'm looking to tie up a big batch, and I was just wondering if any of you had alternative favorites for the colors.

-j

Try peacock chenille/dubbing & pearl dubbingof some sort for the egg. Leeches are all sorts of funky colors, depending on where they are. Mottled colors work well,too. I like using dyed grizzly for the hackle. If you want to go really wild, use blue eared pheasant, or burned spey hackle, it reeeally flows & undulates when stripped. Jamie

I heard in some parts that a purple marabou tail with a black chenille body wrapped with a purple hackle and a pink egg works great.

Thats my $0.02

Sam

I tied an ESL in bizarre colours just for fun. It had a yellow "egg", green body, black hackle, and a purple marabou tail with a grizzly saddle feather hidden in the centre.

The Bass seem to like it just fine, but that may be because they think it's a "Corn-Sucking Hippy Leach."

Anyway, it's been chewed to nothing and it's time to tie some more.

Cheers!

Gary

Don't even worry about color schemes. Grab your wooly buggers in black, purple and white. Grab some colored beads from your local hobby shop and just put them on your line above the leech. Grab a couple different colors, especially pink, chartreuse, white and red. Mix and match until somthing works. You can fasten the beads by doubling the line over or toothpick if you are concerned with it, but for the most part it will stay put and even wobble back and forth so it looks like the leech is chasing the egg in the stream. Good luck!

Joru

Black with chartruse is always my best color, try using diamond braid to wrap the egg with, sounds funny but I jut did it last week on some of mine and it really gives the egg a nice look. Dont be afraid to mix&match colors and do some experimenting on your own.

One thing to remember though about what was just mentioned with running the bead on the line ahead of the hook...in some special reg waters that would not be legal to do so make sure you know the regs of where your fishing before doing that.