Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Coat

Help Finding Hooks

I am having a hard time trying to find some hooks for my Soft Hackle Flies. Presently I am using a Sprout Bend but I would like to use more Traditional Hooks.

The only two that I am aware of that meets my specification are the Mustad 3666 or the Partridge J1A.

1. Limerick Bend

2. Standard Shank

3. Standard Weight

4. Turned Down Eyes

5. Hook Sizes 10 - 18

If there is another brand that has these specification please let me know.

I would like to find these hooks here in the States and try to avoid the Oversea's Cost.

If anyone could help me here I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Both hooks are discondinued, I check with my distributer and I maybe be able to get a few J1A. There is not other hook out that I know of with that bend that has a stadard wire and a turned down eye, there are few with a 1XH wire, or with a stright eye. I will e-mail you later if I am able to get the J1A. If you want more info on hooks that are close let me know.

Joe Fox

I live in Canada and I have looked all over North America for my favorite hooks for Yorkshire Spiders. I tie a lot of them and I want them to hang in the film or just under the film. The absolutely very best hook that you can get in my opinion for these flies are made by a company called Scorpion the hook is 31550 All Purpose Medium Size 8 – 16. They are Sproat however, down eye, standard wire. You have to get them from the UK though (sorry) I have a supplier in Aberdeen Scotland who has these hooks and a whole lot more.

http://www.flymakers.freeserve.co.uk/index-2.html

Thanks Everyone for you assistance,

I did email Mustad about this issue and I did get a reply from them who is the Ohio Distributor.

Bob Banks

Banks, Inc.

P.O. Box 730

Lake Forest, IL 60045

847-816-0800

FAX 847-816-7385

I have come to find out that Partridge Hooks are now own by Mustad. They will be sending me a Catalog of the different hooks they have. According to Bob, when Mustad took over Partridge Hooks, there were several duplicates of the same hook and has since been renumbered accordingly. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed. :(

And Ashbourn, if you can find the Partridge J1A, please do email me for I am interested in using some to tie even if I use them for display only.

And 3wt., I will look into those "Scorpion hooks 31550 All Purpose".

And Flytire, I did check your site but I was unable to determine what most of the hooks were.

When I find out anything from Mustad that will suit my purpose, I will let everyone know.

Thanks again