Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Custom Blending

I posted some time ago a thread about blending dubbing without much response from the web site members.

Today I received my new issue of Fly Tyer magazine and guess what a article about mixing custom dubbing by Dick Talleur. (I’m full of good Ideas) LOL.

I just thought I would show you one of my custom dubbing job’s with a generic bead head wet fly I just tied.

OSD.

user posted image

Good looking fly & dubbing! Although I don't tie a lot of trout flies, I prefer to blend my own dubbings especially for my own patterns. I've never been happy with most commercially available dubbing because they just don't look natural to me. Many are all one color, even those they claim to be a blend of materials, plus I favor natural materials, and many dubbings sold in shops are more synthetic than natural materials. Nothing wrong with the synthetics, there are some good ones available, but I just like the natural fur & hair dubbings better.

I cant recall the thread OSD but that is some usefull info and i like the look of your blended dubbing wet fly. Even though i have been tying for some years now i think i have been more envolved in it and tied more flies in the last 2 months than i have in the last two years so i will give the blending a try.

Funny how i have been tying more since being on this site dry.gif hmmmmmm lol

SD

i got a coffee grinder for christmas just for blending my own dubbing. i have only done, one little batch so far for an olive hares ear. took the olive dubbing and added some of the quick decent dubbing in copper and olive to give it a shiny kinda peacock herl look to it. came out ok.

i will have to find that thread you posted OSD i am sure there are some good tips and hints in there.

do you find it is easier/better to do large batches of blending compared to doing just enough for a few flies? and what materials are easier to blend compared to others, are a few questions i have right now.

thanks

sean

I've been doing custom dubbing with poly for a couple years now.

I don't do large quantities just enough to do the pattern that I am tying at the time.

I also do natural dubbing and combinations of poly and natural to get the colors I am looking for.

These are flies are a cross over fly that can be used for Steelhead and Trout in other words Steve they swing both ways. LOL ohmy.gif

OSD.

user posted image

ohmy.gif swing both ways! you mean kinda like BDH? laugh.gif

I just went through and found your ealier post OSD on blending,heres the link for everyone to it....there were a couple links in that post that people might like to see if they didnt see them the first time.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=576

SD

Generic bead head wet fly

Hook Mustad 3906 12-10

Bead 3mm brass

Tail Grizzly hackle burbles

Ribbing small oval gold Tinsel

Body custom poly dubbing (color your chouse)

Hackle grizzly hen neck

Good luck

OSD.

Guys when you say you use a coffee grinder to blend dubbing are you talking about an actual coffee grinder or is that just a name for a pc of tying equipment used for this purpose? dunno.gif havent tried it so i dont know but i am interested in this.

SD

Yes a regular coffie grinder.

The manual type works good.

But it will never be used for coffie again after grinding amimal hair.

so don't use the wifes Queaenart blender

OSD.

I have found the ones that work best have one side of the blade up and the other side down... for some reason the two blade down models seem to bind a little bit. Also if you are getting it too fine.... after a little bit of blending, take the contents put it in a mason jar, add water and shake the ever livin crap out of it. then drain and let dry.

steve

Nice looking flies.

I got a second hand coffee blender a few years ago and blend several of my own dubbings and just putting fur straight of the skin in it for a few seconds seems to make nicer to work with.

Ashley

Haven't tried making my own yet, but I'll have to give it a try. Plenty of small game hunters here at work to supply me with skins...

Mike