Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

Selecting feather for different flies

I sort of asked this question in the lodge but I thought Id change it a bit and ask it here. I know what im looking for when I select a package of feathers but I often wonder since I am self taught am I makeing good choices on materials. I use different feather for different applicationss I like less weby feather for buggers and weby feathers for leg hackle. Or soft hackle for hex legs and lot of barbs on a saddle for a bugger. So with thoes two defined what do you look for in a patch of soft hackles and also in saddles?? How do you choose your feathers. Im pretty pickey Ill open every package and lay out the ones I like. I look for lenght stem thickness web/barbs color/shine, and quantity.

Start with the obvious thing...desired color and no feather damage. I then look for length and range of sizes...if there aren't a significant number of 16 - 22 feathers then it will not be very useful to me as that is the most common sizes that I tie. I understand that hackle should be stiff, but I do not like it to be too stiff...just a personal preference as I think when the barbules are too stiff the fly doesn't ride right in the water. I also look at the quills, the smaller the quills the better for me as the fly will be more flexible for wrapping on the hook shank.