Fly Tying
dafack01

Good spring Musky flies? For an 8wt?

dafack01:

Here are some of the flies that I use for pike. They're all designed to be cast with my 8 wgt. They range in size from 5 to 10 inches.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Philly You done a Fine job on those Flies--> Yes Sir -> You shoulda put a couple of em in the contest -> I saw only 1 Topwater Pike Fly when I voted if I'm not mistakin -> I was suprized at that

You can get away with casting big flies on an 8 weight, a couple things to keep in mind. Use a heavier tappered 8 weight line, like a bass taper or a saltwater taper, and stick with light synthetics on your flies, natural materials tend to hold more water and make them harder to cast. you can add the appearance of bulk with less materials using synthetics also. I've fly fished cave run before with David Christian, of kymusie guide service. Didn't produce any fish. You might want to hit the gym for a while before you go too. I through a 9 weight for 10 straight hours and making casts 60 to 80 ft each time, the next day I hurt a little bit. Good luck.

Try Dahlberg Mega Diver with long tail made from Big Fly fibre. This fly have attractiv movement, and make a lot of noise underwater. If you have problem with casting big bulky flies with regular fly line, try shooting head sistem.

IPB Image

And they said it couldn't be done. I am new to fly fishing and I was able to land one useing an 8wt. rod off a dock. without any teaching. Yes I am bragging.beginners luck I guess.

post-8603-1170612732_thumb.jpg

spring time means baby mammals which is also on a musky's diet.

don't forget to try baby muskrat patterns, even a baby duckling pattern also. I actually have fished caverun lake, a big producer on that lake is a 4 inch rattle trap so don't forget to tie up some flies with rattles in them also. top water poppers work good too, a good one is puglisi's flex popper, just because it's a good design to get some size to your popper.

When your up there look around the lake for my arm as well.

spring time means baby mammals which is also on a musky's diet.

don't forget to try baby muskrat patterns, even a baby duckling pattern also. I actually have fished caverun lake, a big producer on that lake is a 4 inch rattle trap so don't forget to tie up some flies with rattles in them also. top water poppers work good too, a good one is puglisi's flex popper, just because it's a good design to get some size to your popper.

When your up there look around the lake for my arm as well.

I wish there was a way to make a fly that made as much racket as a Rattletrap. When I go this spring you can bet I'll have my Muskie baitcaster handy with a few Rattletraps. My friend and I have taken a guide to the Cave a couple springs ago and they had me throwing Rattletraps all day. Those eensy fly rattles and worm rattles vs. a Rattletrap is like comparing an acoustic guitar to a 100W Marshall stack.

I may try to make some medium sized flies with both a brass worm rattle and a small Colorado Blade off of a spinnerbait (attached to a barrel swivel) to make as much commotion as I can. Maybe a wool head too to push some more water.

I've come to one ugly realization with Muskie fishing. It'll flat wear you out. It doesn't matter if you're throwing conventional gear. You'll get beat up working that crap all day. I haven't cast a fly rod for a Muskie before, but I can't imagine using conventional gear to be any easier.

I might want to duck if I actually cast that contraption though.

Good Day,

Agree with the above.

Also, there is a guy in Wisconsin, I believe Bill Skilton, who ties muskie flies. I have yet to find the flies through a google search. No pics on his website that i found so far. But might be worth searching. He does attend many Midwest fly shows and is one of the nice helpful people in the sport.

Steelie

Bill Shearer, out Boulder Junction, has some great Musky patterns. Give him a try

This fly in this color...

IPB Image

It imitates a young carp - and important baitfish for muskie in the early season. Fish this from March through May....

Joe C.

Cool looking fly. Whats the overall length of it?

The lake I plan on fishing for Tiger Muskies this spring is LOADED with carp. I haven't tried to fly fish for them... but the carp sure are fun to bowhunt/fish for.

flymaker1

Bill Skilton is from Pennsylvania. He's done a couple of tying demonstrations at a local fly shop, and I had a chance to sit and watch him tie and discuss tying with him for a couple hours. A nice guy, excellent tyer and always thinking outside the box.

Here's a couple more flies that might be useful that are similar in style to the one Cornmuse posted. They're called Bucktail Deceivers. These are 3 to 4 inches long, but you can tie them as long as 8 or 9 inches.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cool looking fly. Whats the overall length of it?

That Deceiver is tied on an Eagle Claw 234 3/0 hook and is 6" long, give or take a fraction.

JOe