Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jmmccutc

trouble with deer hair

Something I find that helps too when spinning hair is to spin it then release pressure and while drawing tight again help the hair spin with your free hand. I find this really helps the hair even its self out around the shank, and packs tighter. I use even 8/0 thread and also find that if you only make a few wraps in front of the packed hair and half hitck/jam knott. Then slide your thumb and finger down the shank and fource the knott back, also helps. If I spin hair on a thread covered shank I will coat the thread wrappings with crazy glue, and let dry. It will spin like crazy.

The only thing i have to add is to keep practicing. If it doen't look good cut it off and do it again. Once the hair is packed densly enough then more things open up. Yes it is possible to pack hair so dense that a Diver won't dive. The type helps me to determine how much hair goes on the hook. Either one or 2 deer hides.

quality hair is very important as is the length of the hair. Waptsi premo strips and Chris helms hair is Very Good like a fine beer (Moose Drool) :D

Learn to spin first on bars shank then on covered shank. Then on shank widened with mono as in the dave whitlock methods.

Irish Dave Duffy :yahoo: :yahoo: