Fly Tying
bentflyrod

Superbowl Driving Directions!

...if Detroit is still a depressed area how did they get the Super Bowl? The above posts make it sound like a battle zone. Just wondering. BTW, is Ford Field in downtown D'?

When the '89 earthquake hit the Bay Area and sections of the Cypress highway collapsed and a section of the Bay Bridge collapsed I for one longed for the long, flat stretches of Michigan roadway...SullyTM

Really don't know how we managed to get the super bowl :blink:

Detroit is that bad, but its sort of a weird deal. There are areas just a few blocks from Detroit that are actually really nice areas, but then as soon as you get downtown its like an imaginary line is crossed and all the sudden you feel like your in a third world country :unsure:

At least 32 states have ccw reciprocity with Michigan :whistle: :gunsmilie: Not that it much matters but a little pre-spring cleaning is always good :cheers:.

Steeldrifter...I guess Motown is still payin' for the '68 riots.

Funny story about my days as a Michigander. Twilight Zone music please......

The year: 1976...

The place: Tiger Stadium...

Drove down to catch a ballgame with 3 friends in my brand new 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass. Can't remember who the Tigers were playing but I remember that a Hollywood film crew was there filming some segments for The Ron LeFluer Story. Well, there was a 2 hour rain delay after the 2nd or 3rd inning and the 4 of us had a few Pabst Blue Ribbons :rolleyes: To say the least we were enjoying ourselves by games end...Our next stop, after I got lost, was an alley SOMEWHERE in East Detroit...We were not the usual inhabitants of this particular neighborhood and ended up in a dancing establishment :help: until the weeeeeeeee hours of the morning. Now mind you the doors to my brand new Cutlass were left unlocked...The 4 of us were "adopted" for the evening by the ladies of this dancing establishment and they sent word out to the streets that we were to be left alone and looked out for :lol: ... When it was time to drive home, the Cutlass still had all 4 tires and there wasn't a scratch on it! But the morning after PBR headache lasted all day :hyst:

True story...

Later. SullyTM

East Detroit

Is now called East Point! The name East Detriot was giving them a bad rep, so they changed their name!

I use to drive thru one area. It had burned out cars on the road, gangs on the corner, all the nasty stuff. And like steve said, you drive acroos this invisible wall and your in a neighborhood of Million dollar homes. Then 2 streets later your back in the war zone.

There was this junk collector who took it on himself to rid the city of abandon houses. They were having problems with girls getting molested in them or drug dealers hanging out there. So he would attach junk that he picked up to the outside of the house. One they called the doll house. He attached doll parts all over the outside of the house. Heads, legs, arms, and bodies sticking out all over. Another one had doors sticking out at diiferent angles and yet another he covered the whole house in tires. The city finally got tired of the publicity and tore them down. Not because the rapes or drugs, because of the embarrassment! That is sad! You just had to love Coleman Young!

BFR