Fly Tying
Linesides

Makinac Island MI

My wife and I have been invited to go with another couple in May to the island for a few days. Are there any possibilities for fishing around there? Charter,etc.

Dave

We go there a few times every summer, and I have never fished while we've been there, but I always wish I had a rod with me when I go, the shoreline is very very rocky, I bet theres some good smallie fishing, and who knows what else out there. If you give it a try take some clousers and/or other generic patterns since there is a good variety of fish species possible. I wanna say theres a small creek that runs though it too, I wanna say on the northwest side of the island.

I would agree with OLB.

The entire north shore is pretty good smallie water. I've never fished the Island, but spent some time on the shoreline at Hessel, Cedarville, Detour and Drummond. Salmon fishing is pretty good as well. There might be a few charter boats working the Island (serving the elite :P )

Fishing on a romantic vacation to Mackinac Island! Awesome!! :headbang: :headbang: Your my hero!

BFR

hi guy-

you might just hit the smallmouth spawning, with a weird spring weather pattern. it is usually around father's day... but who knows?

the grounds i know are to the west of mackinaw city. lots of rocks. lots of holes.

and it will be windy.

hi guy-

you might just hit the smallmouth spawning, with a weird spring weather pattern. it is usually around father's day... but who knows?

the grounds i know are to the west of mackinaw city. lots of rocks. lots of holes.

and it will be windy.

Sounds like you fish Waugashance (sp). Never did hit that right. Either too early or missed it by a week

:bs: I hear it's the best in the State for shoreline smallies.

There's charters from Mackinaw City, St. Ignace and Cheboygan. Not sure about directly from the island at that time of year. To the north and west sides of the island with all the rocky shoals one would think there would be some sort of fish hanging around in the slightly warmer water. I've never observed anyone fishing those shoals, but then when I'm on the island I'm not up at the crack of dawn either. A word of friendly advice for you: If it hasn't rained recently, those puddles in the street are not water ;) When you see the draft horses, you'll know what I mean.

Mike

Cadillac, MI