Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Coloring Bead Heads?

Powder paint will work, & products like Spike-It Blade Dip that are used on spinner blades to change the colors will also work!

Nail polish & other paints will work too, as has been said! wink.gif

blueing on brass? I'm curious too.

Also, please with a little more info on the anodizing kit available ???

Lastly, what about the acrylic fabric t-shirt/tackle shop paint in the small craft store bottles? E-Z Body - is that the name of it?

A hot fly for me now is the Hot beads by Spirit River. I have been putting them a Leech yarn Bugger and bumping along bottom. Catching Trout. The Hot Beads - Orange-- Rod

Dave you can get a anodizing kit from companys such as harbor frieght and other auto tool mail order companys for under $100,i have seen them as cheap as $50 and for doing small beads that size would be fine.

i dont have a link off hand but i'll do a serach and tryin find out some more info on who carries them.

SD

Rather than paint your own beads , has anyone tried the Spirit River brite beads these are shipped with a baked-on enamel finish in various flourescent colors. These however need a bit of extra weight adding to the fly as they are not as heavy as traditional beads but the paint never comes off.

I guess what we're learning here is almost any place that sells tackle parts, like Cabela's and all the others, has these types of beads available.

Steelie- Oh, THOSE catalogs - those would be the ones my wife throws into the recycle before I get home and I almost never see 'cuz she thinks they're a waste of time- doesn't matter if it's Sportsmans Guide or what- if I don't find them by rummaging, they're gone ohmy.gif

LOL Dfix. Sounds like my EXwife. LOL. She loved tossing out my magazines. Luckily, I would go through the recycle and dig them out. She finally got smart and started tossing them in with the garbage. At that time, having a Cabela's magazine covered in soiled baby diaper wasn't worth retrieving. But, always went to my Dad's to see what he had. lol.

Yeah, I was beaten to punch. I know spirit river has them prebaked. I think Hareline Dubbin does too, will check.

Will warn you about powdercoating. I do alot of it, since I tie jigs. You have to be REALLY careful using it. You have to heat up the bead heads, then dip. Problem is, it'll coat the opening of eye. If you aren't careful, breaking out the tip will also take off part of the layer of bead (have tried doing this on larger brass beads I wanted for making spinners). It's best to either buy them prepowdercoated, or get a good lure paint, like mentioned, and spray them. That way you don't have the pain of trying to keep hole clear.