Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
North Fork

Yellowstone Trip...

I am going to Yellowstone from June 18th-25th and I was wondering a few things. First of all, what waters should I fish during that time of year, what patterns should I make sure and have tied up before the trip, and finally if anyone would want to meet me and a buddy while we are down there for a day or two of fishing. Let me know whats up, I would like as much help with this topic as possible since I am very unfamiliar with that area. Thanks again!

~Andy

There are many rivers to fish in and around Yellowstone, so your options are wide open. Blue Ribbon Flies, Yellowstone Angler and Bud Lily's fly shops can give you all the info you need for your trip. If you have the chance, don't miss the Henry's Fork, it's only an hours drive away and well worth the trip.

North Fork...You'll love the Yellowstone area. Check out the Snake River in the Grand Teton range...Make sure you bring rain gear, especially if you're tent camping. Be prepared for the wet stuff...and watch out for grizzlies! SullyTM

Hi Andy,

I used to guide in Yellowstone Park and the time frame you mention could be a problem due to spring run off. Only time will tell. If the waters are plagued by run off check out the Firehole river. My favorite area is Slough Creek and the Lamar River. If you stay in West Yellowstone the Barns Hole on the Madison just inside the park is a good option. To get to it turn left at the first road inside the park (about 1/4 mile) and follow the dirt road. The road forks after 1/2 mile that leads to different parking spots; either one is fine. The Barns Hole is great for a quick fish after dinner because it is so close.

The local fly shops can provide "current pattern" information. Be sure to have a bunch of black, brown, and olive Zonkers. That time of year is close to the salmon fly hatch so large, dark stonefly nymphs would be in order and a few salmon fly adults should alway be in your fly box.

In the Slough Creek/Lamar River area keep a sharp eye for grizzly bears. The last year I guided there (7 years ago) I saw bears on every trip. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com