Fly Tying
Graham

Carlin Dragons

Hey redkid,

I started the same way I start thread on a hook. I placed the tip of the acrylic strip at a 90 degree angle to a piece of mono, and started wraping, and tyed it down upon itself. I played with this stuff for hours last night, made more sheets to tye with later, and it really is strong flexible stuff. The nymph shuck is amazingly strong and flexible.

Graham

Hi JRG, sage8wt and vises,

Sorry, I didn't see your messages when I clicked on this topic earlier today. You guys really make me feel proud and inspired and I thank you for that. I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Last night I put some strips of dried colored acrylic in a bowl of water to see if it would dissolve, and I am happy to say that there was no deterioration. I wondered because all I need is water to clean my brush before the acrylic dries. After it dries water wont clean the brush.

The hardest part of making this stuff is eliminating any tiny bubbles when colors are mixed and poured onto glass for drying.

Cheers,

Graham

My godness... here I have been away for three days and get back to this! I too have been looking for a way to do transparent bodies, for an emerging insect, but I couldn't imagin coming up with anything close to this! Great stuff buddy, so looking forward to seeing the progress of it!

/Ulf

you are the real creepy crawler man. that is awesome. i just wonder how well they will hold up to hungry jaws?

Thanx guy's. I just got back from a day in the local mountains. I poured some green transparent acrylic varnish onto some shiny foil this morning, its dry now, and looks cool cut into strips for tying.

Cheers,

Graham

Thanks fly time,

Hopefully tomorrow I'll finally have some tying time. I've been taking more pics, so far have a blue and black adult abdomen done.

Cheers,

Graham

Here's a couple pics of tying the adult's abdomen.

I started with fine stiff brass wire.

IPB Image

Used white foam from the craft store for a segmented body. The foam was from a door hanger.

I trimmed a piece of foam to put on the wire and segmented it the same way as in the Hatches magazine article.

IPB Image

Then I painted it with flexible varnish heavily tinted with pearlescent blue pigment powder. Then using an 18/0 fine tipped brush, painted some black lines on it.

IPB Image

Graham

I know this is off topic, but for me its pretty cool stuff. The video by Grammy winner Yolanda Adams, which is currently no 1 on thew charts, has my brother in it.

link to high rez video

The lower rez links are on her web site if you scroll down a little bit.

link to web site.

You'll probably notice we look alike.

Graham

Is that realy your brother, and if so when you come to Nova Scotia is he comming as well. Should I call him Unck (shrot for uncle). Cripes you come here Graham I'll give up my bed and sleep in the neighbours dog house. Then again, I wouldnt have the heart to fight with the pup for his home.

post-992-1142356553_thumb.jpg

Hey Joe Hard, yea, thats my brother Steve. I bet he'd love a trip to Nova Scottia, but he's not a fishin fool like me. Someday I want to come up there and fish, and I'll be happy to sleep in the dog house, as long as the fishin's good...

Cheers,

Graham

post-992-1142356539_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the adult dragonfly that will soon be hatching out of the nymphs shell, looks like its hungry.

post-992-1142480249_thumb.jpg