Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

1st Clouser Minnow

Hello everyone, I have been gone for a while but am trying to get myself back into tying some flies again. This is my first attempt at a clouser minnow ever and was wondering if you folks would tell me what you think of it and how I could improve it? It was tied on a Dai-Riki #930 Size 4 hook. I would be mainly fishing these in Colorado lakes for trout and such.

IPB Image

Thanks a bunch.

Take care everyone.

Jim

Looks wonderful to me. Having just read the Clouser book I can say that by Bob's standards the eyes would be set a little farther back on the shank (between 1/2 and 1/3 from the front). That being said I would say that it is personal preference and the ones I tie for myself are closer to what you have here. Well done Jim! :headbang:

Thanks for the replies guys. I have now another question. If I make the body a little bit longer do you think I will get short bites on it? Meaning the fish would bite the tail part and not get into the hook.

Jim

The simple answer is yes, if the body is too long you will get short strikes. But you have to size the fly to the size of baitfish your quarry is eating, so if that is correct try going to a longer shanked hook like Mustad 34011 if you get short strikes.

I'd also comment that the body should probably be a bit more sparse than what you have there....like by half.

most guys (including me) have way too much body material when they first start tying Clousers. There was a long thread about that last fall on FTF if you can find it.

Cheers....Fred

That is SO much better than my first Clouser was! It looks great! Once you make the suggested tweaks of a little less material and setting the eyes a bit further back, I'd think you've been tying them forever! :headbang: