Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Got my project finished

Just got doing a project. I had some older fully dressed atlantic salmon flies that I wanted to mount. Only had three that were nice (rest had moths that had a hay day, but they were hairwings anyways). Well, had a small shadowbox I was going to toss out. So did some renovation on the box, put a new liner in it, then did the dirty work. Had some sand dollars that I had painted a year or so ago. Don't laugh, yes I painted both of them. LOL. Mounted both in the box. Then, put the flies on cork and glued those in as well. All full dressed silver doctors I do believe. (But, this is my finished product. Kept this best pic. Was hard to get a good pic intact, with glass on. Looked better then having cover off. So, a tad bit of glare. But here's the finished product.

user posted image

Looks good, I have to do something like that with some of my flies. I had never thought of cork for mounting the flies in the frame, thanks for the idea. thumbup.gif

Hey, if you need ideas on shadowboxes, let me know. Have made quite a few. Got a HUGE order for them after my Dad's retirement party. Made him one, and actually had him in tears. He loved it. Here's a picture of the one I made for him (without the cover on, couldn't get a decent pic at all with glass on). As you can tell, he doesn't flyfish. LOL

user posted image

I have a couple of spey and dee flies I'd like to display so both sides are visible. I'm thinking one of those display boxes they use for autographed baseballs. What would be a good way to mount the hooks? I guess the cork would work, but there may be something better. Any ideas?

I have seen flies in the baseball cases your speaking of and have seen the flies mounted on both rocks and driftwood..

BTW SH69 that's a nice display...I love those atlantic flies.

Hey troutbum, I think it's hunters, or may be one of my contacts, sells the cool displays. They are glass tops with wooden bases like the baseball cards, but have the nice polished tree limbs inside to put the flies on. I can see if I can find who has it if you want? If you have a hunters angling catalog, check it out. Want to say they're the ones who have them, but not 100% sure. I've been wanting to do that as well. I love tying ackroyds, and wanted to take my time and make a few really nice ones to display (most I tie are strictly for fishing, so don't go too "perfectionist" on them).

Troutbum,

I would think you could easily put a piece of driftwood in one of those by drilling a hole in the bottom and then screwing the dritwood to it. I haven't seen the ones SH69 is talking about, butif the price was right that might be a good way to go. Hobby stores also carry display boxes for model cars that would work well for multiple flies. I've been thinking of doing this myself for some of my swap flies.

SH69,

Looks good. I like the one you did for your dad very creative.

Jim

Ok, I checked. It's hunters angling that has it. You can go to Hunters and request a catalog, or they may have it listed online (I looked in my paper catalog). They are pricey though. Smaller one is $33, bigger is like $50. So may be cheaper to do the baseball holder and customize a piece of wood to put in it.

Those are both nice displays, always nicer when you do it yourself. I've checked out alot of different web sites on fly tying art and most of them use drift wood. Hey we pick up everything else some nice pieces of driftwood can't hurt.

Steelheader69 bet your Dad absolutely loved that display!!

Tight Lines,

Fatman

I have a cool piece of driftwood. Actually, would be riverwood (since we normally refer driftwood to ocean logs lol). But have one that I clearcoated. I had flies stuck to it. Looked really good. In fact, I even put line on it, like it had been fished and snapped off the line like it snagged. Only problem, didn't have glass over it and would get dusty. May have to make a cool display with rocks/sand on bottom with the log and a custom top over it. Hmmmm. For price they want for those displays, I think I can buy plexiglass and make my own.

Glad you guys liked the boxes. My Dad really did love the one I made him. Funny to watch him tell his wife (my step mom) that he was putting it up in the living room. She cringed, but he insisted (she likes the nice "elegant" type rooms and this didn't fit her "decor"). So yeah, I can see he loved it.

I just made a shadow box of flies up for a friend. put stick and rocks on bottom. I place a picture in the background of a stream we had recently fished. Ran the tippet from the fly into the picture came out real good. Shadow box was $12 rocks and twig free, picture off Pc printer.....