Guest Ladykiller

Complete detials regard materials can be found here: Zoo Cougar

Step 1) Lay down a threadbase.

user posted image

Step 2) Tie in the marabou.

user posted image

Step 3) Tie in the sparkle braid.

user posted image

Step 4) Wrap the sparkle braid forward, wrap a few times with thread, and trim excess.

user posted image

Step 5) Tie in calftail.

user posted image

Step 6) Tie in mallard flank.

user posted image

Step 7) Now the hard steps. Select the coarsest deer body hair you can find. Not all deer body hair is created equal. Do not use deer belly hair! Cut a clump similar to that clump I have shown below. Pick the deer hair clean of underfibers, and stack the deer hair in a hair stacker. Place the bundle of hair on top of the hook shank and wrap with three loops of thread. Pull down on the thread to flare the fibers. I typically don't spin the deer hair here as I want the collar to be on the top and sides of the fly, not underneath. Also make sure that the collar is close enough to the eye of the hook so that a big head is not made. If you do it right, you can make the head and collar in one addition of deer hair. As you can see below and in the next two steps, I had to make a second small addition of deer hair.

user posted image

Step 8) Slightly pushed the hair back to get ready for the second addition of hair

user posted image

Step 9) The addition of a second small clump of deer hair. Tie off and cut the thread after adding the deer hair.

user posted image

Step 10) Now it's time to trim. I can't emphasize enough to use a double edged shaving razor. Use the eye of the hook as a guide and make a clean cut on the bottom of the head. Next, cut the sides, then cut the top of the head. This just roughs in the shape of the head. Next, come back and smooth out all the rough edges and cut all the extra fibers you missed.

user posted image

Step 11) Make a $20.00 check payable to Ladykiller for each person who views this thread. wink.gif

I know that you tie for gates, but, Kelly ties the head a lot different than you. Does your fly swim like kelly's?

John

Guest Ladykiller

The head only has to look asthetically pleasing for sites like this and to sell. Otherwise, it's not that important how it looks, just how it swims. Mine swim just as good as Kelly's. Bob Linsenman even commented on how good my flies were during my trip with him last fall, and he even took a few of my unique ties that I created.

wink.gif good job but just want to let you guys down a little i have fished this fly alot and i done beter with bugers and rabit hair streamers but this may be becuose where i have fished them it does not get down fast anuff intell you get your first pull on the line

Guest Ladykiller

Click on the Zoo Cougar link at the top of the thread. There is a top and bottom view pic in there already.

I almost took a picture of my "fly" just for grins and giggles though .... lol.

Tim awsome post bud thanks a ton for the great info thumbup.gif

Keith it has nothing to do with the fly "gettin down" bud you actually dont want this fly to sink a whole lot. And lady killer fishes the same place as you & me and does VERY well for himself so i think its just a matter of perfecting the technic and zeroing in on the right spot for us bud.

Thanks again LK great post!

SD

think you can manage that Steve, or are you gonna keep buying your streamers? Just wondering how much money YOU have spent buying flies, especially after you told me you DON'T tie streamers...you BUY them.....Gotcha!!!! laugh.gif

I said i bought deer hair streamers not all my streamers and i do admit it becuase i need help with deer hair!

See the difference bud,i didnt try some lameass excuse like "oh i bought it becuase it was a local patteren" laugh.gif tongue.gif boxing.gif boxed.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif

SD

hubbard.gif