Fly Tying
field989

beginner with questions

i am new at fly tying and i would like to know how to keep every thing far enough from the hook eye as to not block it?

also what are some easy to tie patterns(and sizes) that would work for bluegill?

o sometimes when putting dubbing on i put to much on and after i wrap it a few times i realize this so when i try to go back it just gets into a knot.

what are good hooks, and thread to use

One trick for keeping the eye clear is to start your thread at a spot behind the eye and wrap to the back of the hook, then tie the fly forward, but never pass the spot where you started your thread. If you do that then you will have enough room left to tie off and leave the eye open.

For dubbing, remember that less is more...you can always add more. Start very thin on the dubbing and build it up as opposed to putting a lot of dubbing on at once.

Easy patterns for bluegill...there are a ton. Try checking out the Gill link for some specifics. Typically any small bugger or deer hair streamer, or flashy nymphs will do the trick. Rubber legs are also a bonus.

thanks i have also heard that the hare's ear nymph is a good fly for bluegill(looks kinda hard to tie thogh)

also are mustad hooks good and which thread is better danvile or uni

I like mustand hooks and i prefer uni over danville. However that is just my personal preference, i know others who like danville and don't like mustad. My advice to you would to experiment with different brands to see which you like best, when you buy thread buy some danville and uni and maybe some other brands.

Heres a good tutorial for the hares ear, just click on the foto to get started:

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/hares_ear/

Dont buy thread from the sewing department in your local big box store, its not designed for fly tying. Mustad hooks are good and inexpensive compared to the other brands. UNI and Danville make good threads, and its your choice as to which one you use.

Dubbing: Dont try to dub the entire package onto the thread! :D Just use extremely small amounts of dubbing. Its easier to add on than take off.

Learn thread control. Tie on that thread and wrap a few turns to the bend of the hook and then pull down to see when it breaks. Learn how much tesion the thread can take before it breaks. Dont tie with the tip of the bobbin 6 inches away from the hook. Keep it about an inch or so away. learn to make tight wraps without breaking the thread.

THANKS this may be a stupid question but is spinning dubbing the same as just puttin dubbing on the thread

ALSO THANKS THAT IS A GOOD SITE

Yes. To add dubbing to your thread you spin it by placing a small amount in your fingers and then rolling them in one direction around the thread.

No problem man...that's what we are here for. A dubbing loop is when you form a loop in the thread and then place your dubbing inside that loop. Once the dubbing is in place you spin the loop which will then flare out the dubbing for a great 'buggy' look.

Here is a link to a pattern with photos using the technique: dubbing loop

i got some squirrel dubbing, would that be good for anything( i got it from hunting)

also is it okay that i dont whip finish my flies, not yet anyways

Squirrel is an excellent coarse hair dubbing material. It has a tendency to trap mor aire than softer materials like rabbit and so has a shiny or transluscent look under water.

Squirrel dubbing is great, so are tails. Fish love it, and its pretty good to tie with. a couple of half hitches and a small drop of crazy glue will hold a fly together just as good as anything. Just dont get any glue in the eye of the hook. A matarelli whip finnish tool will make a whip finnish knot real easy.

Once you have tied a few flies you will learn where things go on the hook and "crowding" the eye will not be such a big problem

Thats what were here for is to help each other and to have fun, Welcome aboard, if you have not tried it rabbit dubbing is great as well., Feel free to ask all the questions you want, some of us might learn something as well. ;)