Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hard as Hull

Just wanted to say thanks to those who put up the suggestion of using Hard as Hull instead of epoxy for poppers. It went on so that it was hard to see when spreading it but it dried very nicely. I'm very pleased with it. Even on the hard bodies that I complained about in another thread.

I did a semi decent perch like popper that still needs some feathers and such but it came out pretty good. I'll get some pics up when I'm done.

Good to hear Pat, what did you use to spread it on with? paintbrush? I may have to pick up some and give it a try. Epoxy can be a pain and something easier sounds like a winner to me.

Hi guys,

I'm not dornug but is use home made mini-paint brushes. I make them out of a tooth pick and a stacked clump of deer or elk hair. Gentley place the tooth pick in the vise jaws; you don't want to crush it. Clip, clean, and stack a clump of hair then tie it to the tip of the tooth pick like tying a set of hair wings on a hook shank. Whip-finish and trim the thread. I usually make a couple dozen at a time and use them as disposable brushes when using chemical based product or wash/clean when using water based products. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Jeepers, Al.... I thought I made too much stuff that would be easier to just buy!

What's your wife's wedding ring made out of, mylar tubing and tinsel?

i can hear it now....

wife- "honey can you paint the trim in the bathroom this weekend?"

husband- "no problem dear, just let me tye up a dozen or so paint brushes first."

:)

great idea al, no more cotton swabs or plain old toothpicks.

I never knew who to ask before, I guess I know the place now. I use Hard as Hull (HaH) head cement from time to time. At certain times of the year it becomes thick and hard to apply just a small amount to an area. My question is, what can I use to thin it when it is thick? I have asked at various fly shops that carry the product and I am told there is no HaH thinner. Can someone please come up with a suggestion? Thank you in advance.