Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

will someone start a bluegill swap

We just finished one up not too long ago, so it might be hard to find a SM for it, if I was not hosting a swap now I would do it for ya, sorry.

thats ok... thanks anyways. im new to the whole swap[ thing and i dont really get how its done.do you send the flies to the sm and then he sends them to the other people...i just dont get it at all???

sniksoh,

Best bet is to read the various threads at the top of this forum for rules. But basically what happens is a swapmeister takes charge of a swap and establishes the theme of the swap and the number of tiers. Most swaps have 12 tiers plus the SM(host). That way each person ties a dozen flies, sends them to the SM(with SASE) toe tagged( with your screen name) and the recipe if you want. The SM then sorts all the flies so that each swapper gets one of each pattern by the other swappers. The SM then mails each swappers set back to them at the completion of the swap. I usually send a couple of extras for the SM since he has to invest a little more time and effort to organize and keep everyone posted. When I host I also like to post pictures of each pattern as they are received to help keep everyone motivated to finish on time. I started tying this past November and this has been one of the most benficial ways to improve my tying. You meet (sort of) all sorts of new folks and the variety of patterns is amazing. Check out some of the threads on this forum, read them post by post, and you should get a good handle on the idea. I'm not sure about the under 18 thing but the admins have to preapprove participation. As long as you meet deadlines and follow rules you'll be welcome to participate. I'll keep checking this thread and if you have any other questions I'll be glad to give input, from one new guy to another. I'm hosting another swap currently(nymph swap) otherwise I'd be glad to help you out as SM.

Spanky

i still dont get it...when ever someone says they are starting a swap, the give the due date but no adress...where the heck do u mail it to??? this is so ferusrating!!! :angry: :help: :angry: :help: :angry: :help:

Dude its simple you tie your flies and send the SM a pm requesting their addy and they send you a pm with their addy in it.

Step one: join with a "im in"

Step two: tie the flies needed and tag them

Step three: pm Minster and ask for his addy (address)

Step four: mail flies in on time!!!!! WITH return shipping included on a envelope !!!!

Step five: wait for minster to divide flies and return them to you.

Step six: copy the flies/ fish the flies

:headbang: