Fly Tying
James113

Cotton bud stonefly

post-2812-1149706916_thumb.jpg

Here's a new idea I had. You know, one of those 'What if...?' moments. My pal, the esteemed and venerable Davie McPhail aka peatyman, suggested I share it on here.

The fly is tied on the shank of a cotton bud - I just wanted to practise without wasting hooks because I'm Scottish and I'm tight. Still working on ways to add a hook once tied!

Let me know what you think. Be gentle, it's still a work in progress. Or have a look at my site, www.finesseflytying.co.uk - don't forget to sign the guestbook! :yahoo:

Hello Mr. Matthews,

Great stonefly. I almost thought it was a visual specimen.

I greatly admire your work and your care for details. Your Organza Sedge Pupa is one of my most favorite flies, especially with the underwater profile!!!

Welcome to the forum and look foward to see more of your work.

-Sam

Hey James,

I still keep going back and looking at your photo, I thought it was a real insect, what a masterpiece. I can humbly say it looks better than any stonefly nymph I've tied. Do you ever tye at shows? It's a great way to get free hooks, thousands of them. I've found the Mustad and Orvis reps can be very generous. Anyway, nice to see your work here, don't be a stranger, I never tire of looking at flies, and learning new techniques.

Cheers,

Graham

Hey buddy! Great looking stonefly and very nice webbsite aswell! I still have some of that DermaVellum you sent me about a year ago, thank you! Always nice to see you amazing work and I would definitly want to see more of it!

/Ulf

Man I still can't believe the talent displayed in your fly... "Incredible!!!"

I hope to tie half as good as you one day!

-Sam