Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mitch

Traveling Vise

After a trip down to Wallops Island, VA I realized that my C-Clamp that came with my first fly tying kit didn't have a good place to clamp onto (the tables at the Bachelor's Quarters didn't have any overhang).

This prompted me to research and buy a pedestal base vise that was small, easy to break down, and was made solidly. The Dyna-King Kingfisher.

What vise do you use when on the road?

Mitch

Renzetti Traveller, I bought the case, pedestal base, and additional stem from renzetti I can tie almost anywhere using either base as the situation dictates. The case also holds all of the tying tools and you can jam some materials in there as well but not many. I purchased a fly tying bag from Bass Pro for 39.00 and that holds lots of materials. With these two items I can tie anything, Have Fun

Mitch,

I have a D-K Kingfisher pedestal that I use as a travel vise. A great little vise for the $$. The only drawback to it is that it doesn't handle small hooks that well without adding midge jaws which adds $40 to the overall cost. Plus if you're not careful you can crush those tiny wire hooks with the cam lock jaws. I use the Kingfisher for mostly for saltwater flies.

Because I tie flys from 22 to 4/0 one size doesn't always fit all situations. When I go on a trout fishing trip I bring an Orvis travel vise that folds up to the size of a pack of cigarettes. It comes with a clamp and a pedestal, so I can use it just about anywhere. It isn't perfect either, it isn't rotary or even a 360 degree, but this doesn't to be a big drawback with trout flies.

I have a renzetti and i just got a ped base for it for christmas off of ebay for $20.

I carry it in a bag that was actually made for shaving stuff for traveling but it works out great for this.

SD

I just use my Regal or Apex Anvil on their respective bases or table clamps. I really don't think much about the traveling aspect. Considering neither of these is a "true rotary" I'm thinking of buying myself a Dynaking.

I like the stability of a pedestal base and the freedom to be able to move it forward or backward on a table-top; on the flip side, however, sometimes it bothers me that pedestals are a fixed height.

I wouldn't spend a cent on Renzetti ANYTHING - not after their ridiculous trademark infringement lawsuit against Dynaking!

Hard to follow Dfix, but I have the Rezetti traveler on a pedestal.

I have tied 22's and up to 3/0 on it with the same set of jaws.

However its not the cam lever model, has the adjustable screws dunno.gif

Some vises aren't true rotary (either of mine), some are, Dynaking is one.

I like being able to push the base away or pull it to me to help my eyesight.

Sometimes it's tougher to use a clamp mount because I feel like I'm either hovering over it or leaning too far forward to get to it. I don't have this problem with pedestal mounts; I can lean my elbows on or arms against the table while I tie.

I just wouldn't buy anything with the name Renzetti on it after they sued because other manufacturers were making the same style products, so they took on Dynaking - that's like Firestone suing Goodyear because they both make tires!

I don't want to get into the argument about trademark infringement or perceptions surrounding it or establishments of intellectual properties or anything else. I know what I need to about the lawsuit, and to me, it stinks.

Dave,

If you can post the link to any articles so that we can see some/any details, it might help the rest of us in the dark.

Forgot to include one of the aspects I did not like about the Kingfisher vise (that is of no fault on the vise itself): I've grown accustomed to the true rotary vises and don't particularly like the fact that this one isn't....still, it is a great vise for my travelling ventures. If a guy finds a good deal on the Dyna-King Barracuda, grab it. That vise is just awesome. Ron Abbey is also a pleasant man to talk to and quickly turns around any discrepancy with his vises (I had a small problem with mine out of the box). Haven't had to deal with the Renzetti camp yet.

Haze grey and underway,

Mitch

In addition to my Renzetti Traveller I also have the Dyna-King Barracuda Jr. Trekker, I like the dk for holding larger hooks but it sucks for small hooks. between the two I have everything I need to tie almost anything. I love em both!

Maybe I should check out some of those Midge jaws for the d-k, it would be nice to not have to change vises depending on what size hooks I'm using but I haven't found a vise that holds all sizes of hooks well. have fun, Eric

It is very interesting that I'm struggling to find readable data on the suit thru USP&TO browse, other internet hits, etc., but one of the freshest hits in the internet seems to be my unflattering crack in a diff. thread, this board, regarding the action.

I'm gonna have to rifle my mags and find the article that pointed me to details in re: this.

Now, to local stories:

This might wander around a bit, so try to follow along.

I'd mentioned in the other thread how I began tieing (NOTE: I DELIBERATELY SPELL IT THAT WAY 'CUZ IT'S THE CORRECT WAY- "TYING" IS CUTE, ACCEPTABLE, AND WIDELY USED- BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S RIGHT IN THIS CONTEXT- SO NO FLAMES!) on a Thompson 'A'; quite a while later I bought myself a Thompson 'Ultra'. So, for some Forty-Odd years I tied on those- both fresh and salt stuff. I was given a Regal Pedestal several years ago; I immediately put the Thompson vises away. Both vise styles would hold anything from my smallest gnat to whatever salt hook I managed to shove and force between the jaws;

Point, being- The Thompson WASN'T designed to be abused by forcing it to accept the heavy wire sizes I did- yet, it took them, it did the job and it didn't break or go out of adjustment or fail me in any way; I never felt like I couldn't chuck up a 26 or 28 midge in the same session I might be banging out 5/0 tinned macks or 'poon cockroaches for my snotty travelling friends.

When I got the Regal, not much changed except the lever jaw opener and the pedestal base. Regal sells one standard size, which accepts irons from 28 or so up to 6/0; the jaws pretty much hold like machinist's bench vise jaws- they don't let go of much, you can bend the metal before the jaw lets go, etc. Regal also makes a Midge jaw set, holds #32 to 6; a Monster jaw set, holds 7/0-14/0.

I was particularly impressed with the Apex "Anvil" when it first came on to the market, just on construction alone. Though it is not a true rotary style, it seems to be my regular vise of choice- I suppose if I owned a bent arm or bent shaft vise, I wouldn't be all over the map with vises. WHEN I DO!!! buy a bent arm vise, it will be the Dynaking or a Griffin something or another (reference sucky lawsuit comment).

I guess in re: the DK comment Sawcat makes about small hook holding/sucking, I'll try it before I spend the money. Does the Griffin cam-jaw action hold easier/tighter? - almost everybody I know who owns one says they love it and don't need anything more. Does something like that influence MY leaning toward one or another? - it should, shouldn't it?

Do I NEED!!! any more hook holding capability? - Nope!; is it somewhat inconvenient to still be tieing on a fixed plane? - it shouldn't be, based on having done it all my life (but I'm getting old and cranky and might just want to buy into 'it'll make it easier for me to...'); is it really convenient TO ME to be able to spin a hook on axis for dubbing or ribbing or matching wings? - sometimes; can I justify spending the money for what I think it'll afford me in convenience? - most likely.

Should I get rid of what I DON'T USE, IF I DO! buy a bent shaft? - it'd be pretty stupid to keep all the restof 'em, but I don't think any of us, without real pressure from the distaff side, would dump gear for any reason.

Mental Gymnastics over... blink.gif

Just got a pedestal base for my Dyna-King Kingfisher, but I'll always carry an extra one just in case (Thompson 2A).

Fatman

When I'm travelling I use a cheap regal copy simply because I've been know to leave a vice still clamped to the table in the hotel. biggrin.gif

At home I use a regal original and dyna king barracuda.

Renzetti has already gone after the smaller companies, such as peak vise, they had to change their design , because they couldnt afford the costs of going up against renzetti. Dynaking however is countersuing them I believe.

john