Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

What makes a wet fly?

I have been looking for patterns to do for the wet fly swap and not being a trout fisherman the term "wet fly" is something that I hear alot about but don't know the real definition of what makes a fly considered a "wet fly". I just want to make sure that the fly I choose to tie is considered a true wet fly so I don't make a fool of myself and it is just good knowlege to have wink.gif

I don't know that you need to worry about posting "True wet flies" or not. Personally, all patterns that catch fishies are good w/ me!

With that in mind, I call any of a broad category of flies that are designed to work under the surface film wet flies. I call nymphs and streamers wet flies. Heck, I even tie some dry patterns (like stimulators) "wet" so that they sink.

How's that for a twisted opinion/definition. wacko.gif

I tried to find you a definition and came up with this.

It's a sub-surface fly that usually falls into 4 categories.

1 A traditional "winged" wet. (Like a Leadwing Coachman)

2 A soft Hackle. (Like a Partridge and Orange)

3 A wingless wet or flymph. (Muskrat or pupa emerger)

4 A re-submerged insect. (dry fished wet) A prime example would be a diving caddis.

I guess this leaves the field wide open. No standards, as long as it doesn't float... tongue.gif

Flymaster,

That's exactly why I fish them...LOL Kinda hard to screw that up. Can you say dragful drift? bugeyes.gif laugh.gif

steeldrifter, that is "WET FLY" not ""WET PANTS". some difference. And as for you SHOE that is true very true. good point even though i never use them. lots of nymphs but no wets.

Flymaster,

You're missing out on one of the most productive methods. Since farting around with wets, my catch rate has tripled. I usually fish them behind a weighted nymph or use a weighted wet with an unweighted nymph behind it. It's a quick way to cover water for feeding fish.

This is starting to look like a George Carlin comedy routine!

(early Neanderthal definition of 'wet') - UNDER WATER!!! - which, translated into modern terms, means UNDER WATER!!! rolleyes.gif Even dry ties that get scummy or aren't 'treated' or flailed around enough will soak up and become 'wets' dry.gif

With that supportive information in mind bugeyes.gif , we can clearly determine such things as: rearward tapered feathers, hairs, bodies constructed without the assistance of feather barbs mounted opposite to their natural lie and wound about the pattern; material bodies designed to soak up water, etc.- all indicators of wet style tieing.

QUOTE (Shoe @ Jan 29 2004, 08:14 AM)
Flymaster,

You're missing out on one of the most productive methods. Since farting around with wets, my catch rate has tripled. I usually fish them behind a weighted nymph or use a weighted wet with an unweighted nymph behind it. It's a quick way to cover water for feeding fish.

And in mid to late summer fish them under dry's. Especially caddis imitations. This was by far the most productive fishing method for me last season for brookies, browns and bows of all sizes.

I find a nice centerfold shot, maybe a lap dance...

oohhhhhh, what makes a WET FLY...sorry my mistake wink.gif

dislek...dislyksi...damn it -- read things backwards sometimes!