Fly Tying
flycaster1

Will this tail tangle preventor work?

Making up bunny style flies for a trip to Belize. I used to tie in a 20# loop of nylon above the bend of the shank to prevent the bunny tail from wrapping around the gap of the hook. It worked quite well. I'm now trying a bit of straight, single nylon (30# test) above the hook's bend (the nylon only extends beyound the bend in the shank by about 3/8 to 1/2 inches). When I using this method, it was also suggested that one crazy glue a bit of the tail to the straight nylon. While fiddling with the fly while dry and trying to get the tail to wrap, it looks to me that the little bit of nylon may just prevent the tail wrap. Comments on gluing or not gluing the tail to the bit of nylon.

Another option would be to melt a ball on the end of the #20 mono and put it thru a hole poked into the bunny strip , then secure the mono and then the bunny strip to the hook shank.

Another option would be to melt a ball on the end of the #20 mono and put it thru a hole poked into the bunny strip , then secure the mono and then the bunny strip to the hook shank.

Good idea, but I've already tied my flies and am trying to determine if I should glue or not glue. If I were to glue, I'd only be gluing a very small portion of the tail as it comes from the bend.

If you can test them if they work dont bother with the glue. If not adding glue will help, really all you are doing is extending the hook shank by doing this. So that the rabbit strip will have a further point back to prevent wrapping. Super glue will work but cause the strip and mono to bond and become hard. Tear mender will bond but remain softer. you can also glue a little bit like you said and prop the mono and strip upward, letting it dry that way.

I know where you are coming from as I like fishing with rabbit strip flies. I also dont like having to mess with the the fly every second cast or wonder if the strip is wrapped. When I tie a tail of a long strip I add a weed guard of mono. It doesn't prevent the strip from fouling all together but helps. let us know if the short spike of heavy mono works with out the glue.

You can still take a bodkin & punch a hole thru the rabbit strip & push the mono thru. Whether you melt a bit of the mono after you thread it thru or glue a bead for a stop or just glue it depends on how much fouling you want to prevent. B)

Of all the points mentioned I think the mono loop is the best way to prevent a bunny strip from fouling.

But give that these flies are already tied I'd say don't glue, but in all honesty it probably doesn't matter either way. The mono will make the flies foul resistant but not foul proof the glue will just enhance this by sacrificing a bit of movement.

Easiest way to decide just glue one and leave one plain and then make ten casts with each - if the glued fly is an improvement glue them all if it isn't then you are all set. Just let us know how it works out.

DO NOT SUPERGLUE!!! I`d gotten the clever idea to superglue two strips "back-to-back" to spare me the frustration of having to use the thread to "tie them together". I tied on the two strips and was ready to go, added a small amount of superglue, and.... the moment the superglue hit the strips they curled up like two springs! As if this was`nt bad enough, the skin went hard, as in "break-it-like-a-stick-hard".... Do ALWAYS test chemicals on a small sample of the material you`re going to use it on! I figured that out after I tied the "smoking(literally) Gurgler"... :D

Cheers,

Peter

Of all the points mentioned I think the mono loop is the best way to prevent a bunny strip from fouling.

But give that these flies are already tied I'd say don't glue, but in all honesty it probably doesn't matter either way. The mono will make the flies foul resistant but not foul proof the glue will just enhance this by sacrificing a bit of movement.

Easiest way to decide just glue one and leave one plain and then make ten casts with each - if the glued fly is an improvement glue them all if it isn't then you are all set. Just let us know how it works out.

Not only amy I a lazy fly tier, but I'm just plain lazy. Your suggestion is really the right thing to do and I'll probably give it a try. And, if I do, I'll let you guys know the outcome.