Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Making pictures smaller

I am unsure how to make a picture smaller. Or even if that is what it is called, downsize maybe. Pixel size :dunno: Can anyone explain it to me. I just hope you know what I mean. Thanks

sturgeon_catcher showed me the simplest way there is.

If you have a Windows PC, open the picture in MS Paint (comes free with Windows, and can be found under "Accessories" in the start menu).

Press Ctrl-W

Change the percentages in the top two boxes to somewhere between 20 and 30 percent (play around with it and see what you like). Just be sure to enter the same % for each or you'll warp the picture.

Then do a "Save As" on the picture so that you don't overwrite your high resolution version (unless you want to). I generally would rename it as "bigfish_lowres.jpg" or whatever just so you can keep things organized.

That's it! Quick and easy!!!!

Maybe this should be "stickied" to the top of the page, because I'll bet a lot of people have the same question.

In Photoshop, with an image open, click on the menu title "Image", then click on sub-menu "Image Size", then type in the size you want. Also make sure that the Constrain Proportions box is checked... Then I save the file by clicking File, "Save For Web", choose jpg for photos or gif for illustrations or text documents. Typically I use jpg, and set the Image Quality to 40%. You can preview the image to see if more or less Quality is needed. Lower quality means a smaller file size, for faster web viewing, even though the physical size of the pic remains the same. I don't like the look of images saved below 10%, there's too much jpg artifact blurriness. Graham