Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sidako

Opinions on Vises (Vices?) & Tools

Hi!

I just tied my first couple of flies last Sunday...and am amazed at the relative ease of the job. Just like when I started flyfishing a couple of years ago, I figured tying flys was some sort of "mystical", intricate procedure that involved several

Doctorates and the patience of a Saint. Well...I have neither, but I sure do love tying flies!

Does anyone have suggestions as to quality vises and/or tools? I would like a Regal type vise...and am not sure just what I will be needing as a Novice tyer as far as scissors, tweezers, bobbins etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

sidako first off welcome to the forums.

As far as a vise and tools go you will get a bunch of different answers on that question since most tyers will tell you to buy the same vise that they use wink.gif but any of the vises made by renzetti,abel,danvise,regal and others are all good choices.

I personally like the rotary function of my vise and wouldnt' want to be without it but i do know alot of good tyers that dont have a rotary vise and tie very well without it.

SD

Thanks Steel!

Have been reading the posts for most of the evening (dreaming of Ice Off...only 3 months to go!), and have found many helpful tidbits, and a few chuckles too.

Do you fish stillwater? That's all I have done so far, but there is certainly no shortage of lakes up here (North Interior BC). I'm hoping to get much more fishing in this year...TRUE STORY -- My wife bought me a pontoon boat about 2 weeks ago, with one stipualtion (here it comes, I thought!) ahem, to quote

"MAKE SURE YOU USE IT LOTS THIS YEAR."

I'm serious! She wants me to go fishin'!

Go Figure.

PS Thanks for warm welcome!

Sidako

Sidako,

You may want to go read my article, A Fly Tying Odyssey, by clicking on this URL:

http://www.silvermallard.com/article.php?29.0

I have a duplicate of the kit I talk about in that article that is NIB. It is a Regal-style vise and surgical-grade stainless tools w/brass accents...very complete. If you are interested just go to my classifieds. It is listed there for sale.

Wow...freaky.

I had ear-marked that kit just a couple of days ago on e-Bay!

Does the vise have a solid grip? I'm a little leary of buying on-line when it comes to something that really should be tested...although your endorsment has certainly swayed my decision...

Sliver -- Where are your classifieds?

Nope i havent done much stillwater fishing myself sidako,i live in michigan and do most of my fishing in the rivers of northern michigan. I love to wade/float the steelhead & trout streams here,not that i have anything against stillwater i just do so much river fishing that i havent made the time for it yet wink.gif

SD

Maybe when you get a little older the thrill of white water will have run it's course wink.gif

Nothing quite like just sitting and floatin', hook in the water, refreshment in hand.

sidako

Welcome aboard, if you have questions just ask we were all new at one time. The folks here are great and all are willing to help out. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Fatman

Welcome aboard. I think it really depends on what you plan to tie, and how often. Not all vises are needed. But if you plan to do alot of tying, the rotary is a great tool. I use Dynakings, but won't push that on you (unless you want the best damned vise on the market lol). J/K. But, a good cheap rotary is Griffin Odyssey. There is also the spider version, but just don't like the way the rotary handle is. The regals aren't bad. I have one, and they hold hooks great. But, I'm a sucker for true rotaries now, and can't go back to standard vises. Actually, going to get another vise soon. Going to buy a Norvise loaded to the tilt. Now that the big hook problem has been fixed (when I was trying them out, my 2/0+ hooks would slip). But are corrected. But they have a learning curve. If you don't pick things up fast, could hinder you to get one. But it isn't a starters vise anyways. LOL

Well....while we are giving opinions...if you want an excellent vice that will not empty your bank account....go for the renzetti traveler. I have been tying for years and have not had a bit of trouble with mine. In fact I have a good friend that invents patterns for UMPQUA, the largest fly seller in the world, and he still ties with a renzetti traveler. Most of the time you can pick one up for about $130-140. You wont go wrong with renzetti.

Good tying!

Bobby

Another good deal from Veniard,

Lazzeri Special Presentation Vice *VE0278*

The Special vice is built with a special articulation on the side which makes it possibility to obtain the right inclination along the axis of main part of the jaw. The hold of the hook is obtained by an eccentric lever system. Fully rotating and articulated. Case hardened steel jaws. In wooden presentation box

shown with two extra jaws.

see www.fishingmegastore.com

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/V...ccessories.html

and go near the bottom.

On the same page, if you want serious quality, and a vise that lasts forever

take a look at the Marryat MP vise from Marc Petitjean; takes a few weeks to get used to, but it's the bee's knees, takes all hooks, infinitely adjustable with loads of built in tools

I used one for a couple of years, then the girlfriend moved house boohoo.

I'm going to see her this weekend, Oh and the girlfriend too biggrin.gif

Another thought....

If you are planning on getting into tying at all....I think you will be disappointed if you do not get a true rotary vise. You need this to really be in control of all side of the fly. You can spend less money for a stationary vise.....but in the long run you will most likely ditch it for a rotary. You might look on e-bay and find a decent rotary vise......they always have a wide selection.

B

Sid,

You're going to get lots of advice, but maybe this will be helpful. Fly Fisherman magazine has a vise review posted in their site. Check it out here:

Vice Review