Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
down2earthlv

Experimenting with 'Stimulators'

Don't know what else to call 'em...they look stimulating to me!

I suppose this one could be mistaken for a leech....

IPB Image

I'm not sure why some photos are so much better than others...

Does this fly look too 'busy'?

IPB Image

I don't think the second one looks too busy. It'll catch fish. They both should. What are the long black fibers?

As for the pictures being blury, I was having trouble with mine in macro mode because the camera was actually too far from the fly, outside the focal range. Try moving it in and zooming the camera out.

To be honest, I think the second one will out fish the first one, atleast around my parts it would, but they both look like they will cath something.

id say "streaming egg lovin leech"= fish

and "great little minnow"= more fish

I like the pics also? They look good on my screen What are those flashy materials on the minnow buddin, dorsal, and lateral lines?

The top fly is tailed with black holographic flashabou and black krystal flash, two orange krystal flash fibers lay on the body, and it's winged with black streamer hair.

The second is just a glorified version, I started tying on what ever I found...... the tail is tied with a bit of flash and a pinch of black streamer hair, the wing starts with a stripe of green hi-vis which is followed by black streamer hair and krystal flash, I added a tuft of the same hair in the beard. The four long strands are Wapsi's Spanflex.....kinda-sorta rubber leg material, but not really. The quote on their packaging states:

'SPANFLEX is a very strong, extremely streachable, semi-translucent material with many varied uses for the fly tier. Great for tails. feelers, ribbing, legs, and bodies.'

Really neat stuff, if you haven't yet pick up a pack....this was on clearance a Sports Chalet, so I bought 4 colors, the packaging advertises 15 colors!

Thanks for the comments!

I like the fat bodies, Very cool flies. The spanaflex looks very simmilar to super stretch floss. I agree try to get closer and centered on the fly. I am no expert but it seems that your camera tried to focus on your vise. If you try to get the hook eye and tail at the very edge of your viewer (I am assuming you are using a diagram), the camera will focus more on the fly and will create its own border around the edge. Try taking a pic with the hook eye right against the edge of the viewer, you will see how much room there is to play with and then can get in closer. It will give you a cleaner more detailed shot. (I found anyway). My camera is also out of focus when I click the picture, the camera focus its self before it takes the shot. I take several shots and try to pick the best one.

Much respect to mr. Kaufmann.....I used parenthesies (sp?) I just didn't know how else to describe the fly...it doesn't really imitate an insect or fish, its just kind of an attractive flashy fish catching machine.....by no means did I intend to encroach on someone else's namesake. I apologize to anyone and everyone if it sounded that way!

its been my experience that busy catches fish. One of my first flies I ever tied was this huge ball of deer hair. :P I call it a ball cause it was truly a beginners deer hair popper. But ya know what? It caught some small bass, and a whole bunch of bluegill. Guess what I'm trying to say is, fish love busy looking patterns. I'm addicted to tying any kind of bass of small panfish fly with crystal flash. The shimmer of the fly drives em absolutly nuts! But like I read in another thread earlier, the water has to be clear enough, or else it pretty much defeats the purpose if they cant see it.