Fly Tying
Sturgeon_Catcher

Photomacrography (As I know it!)

I was at my friend’s house over the weekend and spoke of my cameras. They wanted to see. Also, have been curious for some time how much magnification I could get from my field kit as I think of it. This is the kit I put together to take on my road trip.

I knew what I was after but was unsure as to whether or not I got it. Remember these are my restored 35mm Exactas. Started with the digital held off hand at the kitchen table on a piece of computer paper.

Chose this leaf because of the spots on it. I know what the insect is and he is who I am after. The openings are not openings. The outer layer is still intact. The insect is a microscopic sucking insect. It does not however have sucking mouth parts as an aphid does. (He’s next)

This insect scratches the outer layer then sucks up the sugars from the layers of the leaf. Thus leaving the front layer. This is from a Floribunda Rose.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Realized I was too close and turned off the overhead light and got flash.

IPB Image

I worked on this post for 5.5hrs. and then closed the window. I hate that!!!! I must have previewed this thing a zillion times.

Not sure how many I'll do if it takes this long. OOPS the aphid!!!

The insect I am wanting are the miniscule dots on the paper. These are not the ones I used because I could not confirm that they were in fact thrips. Chose another bloom – isolated 4 insects – froze them twice! I think that the large object is a nest of some sort. I found it at the juncture of a petiole on a leaf stem. These pics are with the digital. The following are with the 35mm.

I set up the camera with 2 lights from the digital studio – didn’t want to set up umbrellas and hot lights. Besides I had the entire family room floor area already.

I used a full set of extension tubes and the full extension of my bellows. CV reading of 7.6. Used ASA 200 film – f32. I made my computations on the extension element of 8 inches. My ballpark bracketing base is 1” of extension equals 1 fstop. Thus down 8 fstops. I shot a 24 exposure roll and the effect was rather dramatic.

I started on the earwig. Same conditions but, larger object thus a little further back to focus. Probably 3” or less. The little bug or thrip was about 1.5” – banged the lense trying to find it on one occasion.

As time progresses you can see that more elements of the object come into focus. All I did was either set the mechanical timer on the shutter to a different speed or time the exposure with my watch and release the shutter release cord. No camera movement or focus. Remember in this dimension of macro there is no focus. The camera is set at infinity and the camera itself is moved forward and back thru some kind of focusing rail.

The series is as follows

First shot resized actual image.

Second shot actual image resized and adjusted with Photoshop.

Third shot cropped, and resized.

Fourth shot Cropped, adjusted with Photoshop and resized.

Brought up the image did auto adj on focus, color, contrast, and sharpness I think. The standard adjustments available. I used only the auto functions. No custom alterations.

These are 8 seconds of exposure.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

These are approx 15 seconds of exposure.

These are 26 seconds+ (I was using the chrono from my watch)

Next the Thrip - same series.

8 seconds

15 seconds

I did this final shot on a whim. Chose a different insect but no matter - the same criterea.

26 seconds

Did I get the shot I wanted? Not quite. What it does show is my misinterpretation of time and depth of field. As Peterjay says - Hey Peterjay.....depth of field is not increased but clarity is. Hmmm....wonder what my 12" bellows would do?????

How much magnification? The thrip is approx 1/32" long and almost 1/8" on the negative. Thus 4 times magnification. This is a great deal of magnification.

Thrip site with photo

IPB Image

Now for the buddy. This is for Madkassel - Hey Madkassel.....This is a beneficial insect called a green lacewing. He eats spiders if they are small enough and definitely aphids. (Next?)

I did adjust this photo in Photoshop.

IPB Image

This is a crop and adjustment with Photoshop.

IPB Image

His antennae were moving so I cropped them that you might see why it is called a Green Lacewing.

Later

Fred

I'll take a pic of the setup and the negative if you would like to see it???

Great pics and info. For me the best part is realizing I'm not alone when it comes to enjoying the time and effort required to photograph insects. I was at a lake a couple of months ago with my camera and wife. She just couldn't believe I mostly took pics of insects instead of scenery. Anyway, thanks for sharing Fred! I'm really enjoying this forum a lot, for many reasons.

Graham

When I put the posting back together I forgot this part. This insect only comes out in the night time. He knows it is night time because the plant is exhausting carbon dioxide.

Dandelions are favorites of thrips. Pick a bloom or a bloom from a plant with leaf damage as on the Rose leaf. Exhaust your breath directly on the flower. Look closely and you will see this tiny black insect run out from the inside of the flower. If you see such an insect likely it is a thrip. A major landscape plant pest.

Also, notice the black corners on the first pictures of the series. This is called vignette. There is too much extension. The black is the outer rim of the lense. Not a good thing. With 35mm you never know until the film is developed. At least I didn't see it during the shoot - I was hurrying when I took the shots so may not have noticed.

Later

Fred

Very cool... that lacewing is amazing.

Such marvelous creatures in this world ... just have to take the time to notice them.