Fly Tying
DementedFish

Midge tying question

What materials do i need to tie these zebra midges?

Also, should i use waxed thread or regular thread? if i use regular thread should i coat them with a special type of glue??

post-22-1075782924.jpg

I use small beads, small scud hooks, fine silver wire 2.5-3.0 reading glasses smile.gif and waxed 6/0 or 3/0 thread. If you use unwaxed thread the fly will get beat up faster.

Funny u said that dave. I was taking apart a professionally made midge that was tied by my friend frank who is sponsored by diawa, and noticed it smelled like fingernail polish. I took the ones apart pictured above.

o and lanvaettir, i dont think ill need those glasses lol. Im only 14 and my vision hasnt gone yet lol.

If ya want to give them a fuzzier body try using like dyed Mallard flanks and cut out three or four strands, tie them in by the tips and twist them a little then wrap the body and follow with your wire, don't cement though as you will lose the fuzzy effect. Have you tried using V rib or Larva lace? Both give you a shiny finish and eleminate the wire rib, and they are damned tough to boot, 14 eh? glasses are a good idea , If you want to be able to see at 44 as good as you do at 14 ,that is, then enough said.

Tight lines . drag free drifts always,

Tube