Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bootow

Smokies

Lookin to to make my first trip to the smokies towards the end of november.

Is that too late ? Any tips/advice would be great.I picked up Ian Rutter's great smoky mnts angler companion but would love to hear some first hand stories from board members.

thanks in advance

bootow,

While I am certainly not an expert, I do spend a lot of time there. My best advice would be to go by Little River Outfitters in Townsend Tennessee, and talk to them. They are very freindly people, and will turn you on to what is working, where some good hotspots are, etc. I am in no way affiliated with them, other than as a happy customer. Here is there website:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/index.htm

I was just there between Oct 28 and Nov 4th. At the beginning of the week temps were mild and saw a couple of small BWo hatches. A cold snap came in and put a damper on the fishing for a while but all this past week highs were in the 70s I believe and next week looks like highs in the 60s. all in all a good bet the fishing will be nice. Oh BTW, ALWAYS bring a raincoat to the Smoky Mountains!!

Good Luck :)

I fished there the first time in late spring and had a fantastic time !! Expect smaller fish, small streams in tight conditions but it was great. Plan on knee pads, no kidding you are going to be spending quite a bit of time on your knees sneaking up on a pool or run and a good wading staff unless you like falling down on your rear. The rocks are slippery and loose with quick water in most places. Inside the park I did not use a rod over 7ft long and never suffered any, most of my fishing was done with a 4 wt. I did fish outside of the park on the Little river and used a 8ft 5wt and caught some nice rainbows fishing streamers deep.

The Little River Fly shop is one of the best fly shops I have ever been in accross the USA, flat out a great place, good people are in there who are truely wired to the rivers and buddy there are plenty of them.

Good luck and have fun, the views are amazing plus the history of the area it can be an overload. Oh...if you do go to Townsend and visit Little River folks....see if Miss Lillys cafe is open near them, the chow is excellent and price reasonable.

I went there for the first time two weekends ago.......no fishing, celebrating anniversary w/wife. I did, however, make it to the Little River Outfitters......Great shop! Make sure you stop in there. I am planning a return trip sometime for the fishing.....IPB Image

I used to go in the park entrance at Townsend, turn right and take the 1st left. There's great pocket water fishing for miles. You'll spend most of your time standing/kneeling in one cascading pool, casting up to the next one. With a 9ft rod, you have about 10 - 15ft of line out plus your leader...that's it. The streambed is slate-like jagged rock and easy to trip on wading upstream.

The canopy is low and lush so many times backcasts are not an option. It's a great place to get away from the tourists on the Gatlinberg side.