Fly Tying
mtn

Question about nor-vise

Well in my search for a new vise I thought I found the vise I was looking for, a regal, however I recently discovered the nor-vise just one thing bothers me, does the vise come mounted or do you have to mount it to the bench/wood yourself?

you have to mount it, its okay once you learn how to use it, but i think its made more for production tying...check out the anvil vice for around 100.00 you cant go wrong...highly recommended....

does the vise come mounted or do you have to mount it to the bench/wood yourself?

The Nor-vise comes with a mounting board if you get the carrying case to go with it. You can also get another if you want to by going to a cabinet shop and getting the cut-out cabinet top left from installing sinks. This is a very strong mount and easy to do, but the board that comes with the carrying case does well.

I watched Norm in action with the Nor-Vise at the Southern Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers in Mountain Home, Arkansas and talked with several people who own the vise. In action, the Nor-Vise is impressive, speedy and does its job well, my opinion and that of others who own it. Of the opinions of those tyers who actually own the vise, not a single one had a complaint which I thought amazing. The owners were buying more parts for the vise or getting information to better use the vise at home.

In action, the Nor-Vise was used to tye flies from around a 9/0 or 10/0 saltwater hook down to a 32 that I could barely see, basically not much more than a speck of red to me when he got through, but it had thread, dubbing and hackle and was a dainty, little thing. The 9/0 or 10/0 fit in the same set of jaws as the 32; they are very adjustable, and of course was totally visible to everyone because of its size. It required a little more material to dress, of course, than the 32.

I was impressed with the vise and suspect anyone can use and enjoy it; its just a different concept in flytying. You can do flies singly or en masse once you learn to use the Nor-Vise efficiently. The owners I spoke with certainly seemed to enjoy theirs and lit up when talking about it. I met one man who was at the tying tables and ties for Whiting, on the Whiting Team. After a moment, I realized I was watching him as he used a Nor-Vise, so I asked how he liked it. The one he was using that day was his second; he said he loved them! Most of those I spoke with were tyers who did a few for their pleasure and fishing, and then, there was that one man who does it for a living.

Norm said his largest buyers are in the tying industry, as mentioned above. From what I saw and heard that Friday and Saturday, he also does pretty well with the average tyer. He said the largest obstacle there was tradition.

Ray

Thanks for the help guys, sandfly I'll check out that anvil vise aswell. Harold Ray thanks for the tip with the cabinet.

mtn,

Was this a used Nor-Vise, or a new one?

I own a Nor-Vise and 3 others, I have quit using the others. Another good mounting board is a cutting board available at Wal-Mart. They have a recessed area around the board that catches little stuff when it wants to roll away. It is very easy to drill and mount wood that has been drilled to hold all your stuff. Go to the Nor-Vise website and check out the Videos.

Good luck with your choice.

There are a number of Nor-vise users on this board. Many of us do no production tying.

I had a renzetti and a regal and thompson and all have been replace by the NV. It's easy to travel with and you always have a tying table with you.

Don't be afraid to contact Norm he is more than happy to answer questions, and what other vise can you call and talk with the engineer & salesman?

I failed to mention in my earlier post that I bought a Nor-Vise while at the Conclave. I had seen and read about them, and even though I am a neophyte, I went ahead and made the purchase. My biggest problem is, when it comes to backpacking, kayaking and fishing, I like to buy, if it looks like it will be fun and work well; later, I think about it and decide I made the right decision!

Don't be afraid to contact Norm he is more than happy to answer questions, and what other vise can you call and talk with the engineer & salesman?

Norm answered every question and request with a smile and demonstration. I really enjoyed talking and learning from him. He is very friendly and, of course, knowledgeable.

Ray

I have not owned a Norvise myself so I wont comment on it...but I will say to get ahold of "Wickedcarpenter" (member here) and ask him about his to get the dirt on the problems he had with his Norvise before you plunck down that much money for one.

Nothing wrong with contacting the person that makes a product, but a word of caution about that. Anyone that makes a certian product is obviously going to make it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread, so take things with a grain of salt ;)

Bought the Nor-Vise about a year ago & haven't used my renzetti traveler since. Marvelous vise. I mounted it on a wooden cutting board from a kitchen supply place. No regrets. Fast, tough & intelligent machine.

I got a set of the fine pint jaws for my Norvises' and have since parked the Renzetti's. I teach beginning rotary Fly tying on the Norvises' and all of my students love them after they get the hang of them. I now have 6 norvise's in my shop.The problem with the Renzetti's wasthe fact that I received bad customer service which I can guarantee that you'll get the opposite from Norm. He's a standup guy!

Of coursre not everyone is going to like his product but some guys like Fords and some like Chev's right. Go test drive one or ask Norm to send you the DVD and see it in action.

Yes, I bought mine after seeing Norm demonstrate tying four or five flies at a show. I felt a bit like I'd been riding horses, and had someone introduce me to a car. Funny, I'm a strong traditionalist, but the Nor-vise was so logical, I stopped using everything else. No regrets...

I built my own base for the Nor-vise in about 10 minutes. I just used an old piece of laminated shelving wood. Works great.

I think I might have a shot of it in one of my video tutorials if you're interested in seeing it in action. Just let me know...

Ray,

Since you're obviously happy with your Nor-Vise, and I'm starting to lean that way for a new vise, do you think I could just buy the video for it first before making a choice?

EDIT: To add on that, does anyone have experience with the Dubbing Brush Table?

EDIT 2: I'm down to a Nor-Vise or an Anvil Atlas. Someone help!!!