Fly Tying
Salmo22

Stillwater Patterns

Used the search function and it seems that Stillwater patterns have not been discussed with any detail recently. I'm especially interested in some of the leech, nypmh, chironomid and streamer patterns you find effective. Photos would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Being from Eastern Oregon, when it comes to stillwater, one of my favorite patterns is the Olive Willy. Originally tied by Bob Bates, if you're from the Northwest, you've heard of this fly.

The steps to tie is are available here:

Olive Willy

And hey, this is just me, but I think this thread calls for a fly swap!

Admittedly I fish over in the UK but I fish 99% stillwater from browns and rainbows. Here's a couple of my chironomids or buzzers as we call them over here, they should work anywhere chironomids hatch. I'll take a few pics of my lures/streamers when I can.

Thanks for starting rhis thread! I love fishing small lakes and streams when I can. Here is a pattern I use for Brookies. Fished slow and right at the bottom it has produced really well for me. It is a typical design with a soft brown suede body, ribbed with fine gold tinsel..

IPB Image

I also use Skip Morris' Foam Predator fished the same way. It has accounted for alot of great days on the water.

IPB Image

The Casual Dress has been good to me fished weighted or unweighted over or through weedbeds.

IPB Image

I don't have any pictures but tie a montana nymph only with a marabou tail.

Also as Alex said buzzers are a killer here in the UK.

A Welsh pattern called a diawl bach is also a great new pattern which many still water anglers use here in the UK I'll get some photo's up soon.

EDIT: I forgot hoppers and daddys in the autumn they produce great sport aswell.

Hey Incnnu, no i don't use the flys for dapping. Just normal cast then retreive (unless its a dry).

Okey doke. Here's a couple of fry patterns I use at the back end when the fish start crashing the huge shoals of fry. The top one is very much a S/W derivative with plenty of crystalair and crystal flash etc but the trout love it pulled quick. Fished slower it's good for pike too. :)

The bottom one is basically a zonker but with a 2mm mink strip instead of rabbit as it offers more movement. Other variations are white, brown and black or a pearl mylar body depending on light conditions. Pearl for bright days, silver for dull days.

I've also added a wet daddy I use as it outfishes the dry nearly every time. The body is a mix of Seals fur and a brown or greenwells hackle with pheasant tail legs, you can get the full pattern here but I'll add it to the database at some point. We tie smaller versions on 10s to 14s in different colours which we call hoppers. Not to be confused with US hoppers.

Leech wise, I use a black wooly bugger or varients with a green, red or orange bead head. Again I'll try to rustle up some more pics when I get time.

post-1877-1162936595_thumb.jpg

post-1877-1162936617_thumb.jpg

Salmo22 - I spent a lot of time last winter working on a fly box of just stillwater patterns. I had hopes of getting out on a stillwater fly fishing trip this summer, but it never happened. I am attaching a number of photos of the various flies contained in my stillwater fly box (see photos below). These patterns are an assortment of different patterns I found in from the following books:

1) "Tying Stillwater Patterns for Trophy Trout - A Comprehensive Guide to Tying & Fishing Fly Patterns fro Stillwater Trout", by Denny Rickards (ISBN 0-9656458-2-7) / [email protected] / Cover Price $34.95 USD.

2) "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters - A Study of Trout, Entomology and Tying", by Phillip Rowley (ISBN 1-57188-195-6)/Cover Price = $29.95 USD

3) "Strategies for Stillwater - The Tackle, Techniques, and Flies for Taking Trout in Lakes and Ponds", by Dave Hughes (ISBN 0-8117-1916-2) / Cover Price = $21.95 USD

I highly recommend the first two books due to the large number of special stillwater patterns they contain. The third book has more how-to-fish information. I spoke directly with Denny Rickards last winter and he was a great help in recommending a set of starter stillwater patterns. He has some great videos showing how to tye each of his patterns.

Hope this helps.

post-4573-1162949604_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949622_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949642_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949659_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949673_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949690_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949706_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162949743_thumb.jpg

:bugeyes: Great Stilwater paterns Letumgo :headbang

Here are some from my Nymf boxpost-4230-1163019405_thumb.jpg

Best wishes Tcr

NightFish turned me on to his Full Belly Minnow a couple years back. Great pattern. Also I have had great results with my "PlayBoy Bunny"

post-1492-1163020324_thumb.jpg

post-1492-1163020377_thumb.jpg