Fly Tying
IPwnJoo

Settle a discussion please...

Hi,

I got sent this link and to my eyes, this photo looks faked (As in an edited photo). The person who sent it says it's not faked. I may very well be wrong and in which case will eat humble pie.

Your thoughts please as to whether the photo is geniune.

Can anyone identify the fish also?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25339179/

It is a very nice picture though!

If it isn't faked, it's taken with some sort of automatic shutter-trip mechanism. My guess is, though, that it's faked. To light the fish well enough to freeze action while still properly exposing the dark sky and bright moon would be -- well, let's just call it a technical challenge far beyond the capability of most photographers.

John

Depends on what you mean by faked - if it had been presented as a piece of photojournalism or forensic evidence, yeah you could probably call it an attempt to deceive the viewer. If it was presented as a piece of art, (which it was - deviantart is an artists' site, and is outside the jurisdiction of the Image Purity Police) then there's not a thing wrong with it. The picture looks like a combination of at least two exposures - it's easy enough to do in Photoshop, but the technique is almost as old as photography itself. As the picture was presented, it's a fun image, and its creator has no need to explain himself. Considering where the picture came from, an educated guess is that you're probably right about it being a photo illustration, rather that a straight photograph. The fish looks like a walleye.

My opinion is some aspects of the photo are real, but the picture itself as presented is fake.

in my opinion it may be three or four parts of photographs pieced together. Anyone who has taken any night photography could tell you that it would be impossible to take a picture of a fish at night using a flash and still manage to capture the moon in such vibrant detail. As well there would be other obvious problems in that particular situation. Unfourtunately a shop job, but well done.

Oh and for your second question, as Peterjay posted the fish looks to be some sort of Walleye. I can't see him catching walleye leaping out of the water at a non weighted hook with a piece of plastic grub on the end. In my experience in Northern Alberta/ Southern NWT, walleye prefer deeper depths

Cheers

Thanks very much for your input. My guess was that the fish is was a largemouth/smallmouth bass but we don't get there here so wasn't too sure.

It is a nice picture and i'm not trying to take anything away from the artist at all.

I think it looks like a fantastic piece of art! Seems to me it's at least three photos combined. The highlights on the grub and grub hook appear to show lighting from above, not from a frontal flash, which is illuminating the fish. I've never seen a fish push so much water into the air while jumping, or at least not so much wide spread froth on the water from the exit point. I really can't tell if the fish looks alive or dead, the action and raised dorsal fin sure suggest life, but who knows, it might be a fish from the store, impaled on a long stout stick, and the curved body pulls a lot of water up when the photographers assistant rapidly yanks it up from a tub of water.lol.. Or positioned the fish into a small water fall, or poured a bucket of water over it .lol.. I’m just having fun speculating how this photo could be reproduced, and certainly enjoyed viewing it, sure looks like fun creating this shot, be it real or manipulated. I give it two thumbs up.

I will play devil's advocate.

Is it possible to do a rear curtain flash and get this photo in one exposure? Let's say he used a long shutter to get the correct exposure on the moon and background and then the flash fired at the end illuminating the fish. Now, for this to be possible, the photograph would have to be staged with a fake fish, water and hook. However that would be a "real" photograph and not something that would have to be photoshopped together from several exposures.

I believe it is probably a fake but with enough effort I would say that this shot could be possible although it would have to be staged.

Maybe it could be done that way, with a second flash above, popping the top of the grub..LOL… . no wonder the image is in a deviant art website.

If the fish was yanked from the water and the hook pulled out just as the shutter was tripped, it might explain the picture - the moon had to come from somewhere else though. On the subject of "real" photographs and Photoshopping; any photograph is a distortion of reality. The second you press the shutter, reality ends and there's nothing you can do to bring it back. Hey, I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving and gained 5 pounds apiece.

"No work of art can be great, but as it deceives; to be otherwise is the prerogative of nature only."

Edmund Burke

If the fish was yanked from the water and the hook pulled out just as the shutter was tripped, it might explain the picture - the moon had to come from somewhere else though. On the subject of "real" photographs and Photoshopping; any photograph is a distortion of reality. The second you press the shutter, reality ends and there's nothing you can do to bring it back. Hey, I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving and gained 5 pounds apiece.

"No work of art can be great, but as it deceives; to be otherwise is the prerogative of nature only."

Edmund Burke