Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Question for you entomologists

I'm tying a realistic stonefly nymph right now. I'm really trying to go all out on this one and have a question for the Entomologists who are on here.

When you guys see pictures of the realistic flies, what gives it away that it's a fly and not the real thing? More specifically, what details are left out that just jump right out at you that they're missing?

And of course the hook sticking out doesn't count as an answer :P

One thing I notice, and it goes for more than just realistic flies, is proportion and size.

One person I know ties realistic stoneflies and the head is wrong on every fly. It's too small in relation to the rest of the fly. It's a pretty good fly up to the head.

...what gives it away that it's a fly and not the real thing? … what details are left out that just jump right out at you that they're missing?

Alex-

IMHO, there is no one (or even primary) thing. Everything has to be reasonably correct with regard to anatomy, tone, and texture. This assumes the fly is being tied as an imitative artform, and won't actually be fished.

Realistic in the "eye of a trout" brings some additional criteria into play, not the least of which is, how accurately the imitation mimics movement “within” the natural, as opposed to movement “of” the natural, which is largely a function of presentation.

To me (I am more of a realistic tier than an Entomologists though) it's proportions and colours that are the two main things that makes a fly look / don't look realistic. Apart from that I have never seen any one do wings that doesn't look like they are made.

Ulf

Hey its funny you say "taste" and reminds me of a story.

I was lucky enough to go fishing with a really top level fisher/author in this part of the world and one of the things we discussed on the day was how some fish were taking but I was not hooking up, so I thought I was striking too fast/slow... who knows.

Anyway he made me stick a fly in my mouth and it tasted like crap, so he said "now do you see why the trout spits it out so fast?" It was the glue or head cement I was using. Now I am real careful with any of that stuff, and even tase a few flies (artificials I mean!) as part of my testing.

Feather and fur taste is not too bad, but an identical looking fly with a spot of super glue can be really awful instantly.

Not too many people seem to realise the difference this can make, seriously.