Fly Tying
redkid

Mating vulgata (or danica)

Anybody can point me to some info about mating ephemera's ? It will be great if you had some pictures with them..

Maybe it's a foolish question,but when do they mate?when they are duns or spinners ? I'm intrested in the body position and I want to know how do the male grabs to the female..

Body/tail/wing/etc. dimensions would be great !!!

Thanks !!

NOPE, sorry Ethan,

though I do have the capacity to download to disk & send it by mail.

Send me yr address to my email

[email protected]

Does anyone else have the ability to host the vid..

??

Roy

Good Day,

You might also want to check with fellow forum member Lief Örtenholm. He tied the following mating danica.

post-295-1165787681_thumb.jpg

Steelie

Good day to you too, steelie

Leif does indeed tie some beautiful realistics.

I had the pleasure meeting Leif at the British Fly Fair this year and took a close-up look.

If only I had the skills .........

:blink:

:D

How about FTF hosting the vid, it's quite good quality, well for a beginner like me.

All the best

Roy

If you think Leif ties wonderful flies (and he sure does) you should watch him tie! I've tied with him several times and he has such an eye for proportions and how to do things, when I have to "try and error" on alot of my flies he simply just starts and ties away til he's finished without meassuring or redoing steps. He has great artistic talents.

Oh, and to follow the topic, the Ephemeras mate while in spinner (imago) stage. Unfortunatly I don't have any good photos of them mating, since they are mating in mid-air (or are there speices that mate on solid objects, Ethan?) it is very hard to get a good close up shot at them. Maybe something for Graham to set up as a challenge for himself considering the great photos he has been taking!

I have a close up video of an Ephemera hatching with half the camera under water and half over the surface, it's very cool looking!

Ulf