Fly Tying
osprey

Red Throated Clouser Minnow

A friend who is an experienced smallie fisherman suggested tying a puff of red marabou at the throat of Clouser Minnows. I tied up a few, with puffs of varying sizes, and they look pretty neat in the water (in my kitchen sink). Truly, there appears to be blood coming from the minnow.

As for catching fish, I have no idea.

Is this an accepted variation on the Clouser Minnow pattern, or has my friend come up with something entirely new?

And does anyone have any thoughts on its effectiveness with smallies? My friend claims that the red is a trigger for them.

-- Paul

A red throat is pretty standard for saltwater flies. I add a little red to all mine, most everyone does here in FL. So, is your buddy doing something new and innovative? No.

Nick, your clouser looks GREAT!! I think I may put some 3-d eyes on some clousers. I usally only put them on my deceivers, sheep minnows. But anyway yours looks VERY good!! {I like the red} biggrin.gif

Thanks man,

I use a synthetic product called Polar Aire for the vast majority of my streamers. It's a lot like fish fuzz, but longer so you can make larger flies with it. I find it way easier to work with than natural hair, not to mention it looks better in the water.

Also, to spice things up a bit you can blend the Polar Aire with Angel Hair and you have a sweet looking fly. Only do this on "shiny" minnow immitations as creek cub, dace and sculpins don't really have a reflection, so flashy stuff such as Angel Hair is not needed.

wink.gif

My best streamer when the Shad are abundant is a Chart. over White Clouser made from Polar Aire. That stuf is great. In all honestly, I have yet to catch anything on a Clouser made of Bucktail.

I first tried putting red on some small streamers last spring on a fly I call the perass. It worked very well on perch, bass and catfish. Since then I usually put some red/pink/orange on most of my streamers/clousers.(slammershad) I don't know if it really makes a big difference but I think it make the flys that much more real looking.. see the posts from last summer where I was using two slammershad streamers at once (double flys) out of my kayak at a local utilities lake in central texas. The LMbass were schooling in and around this one area all summer and I really mopped up on them.. everything was C&R so I can do it again this year! I hope!! rolleyes.gif

http://www.texasfishingforum.com/.ubb/Foru...TML/000447.html

http://www.texasfishingforum.com/.ubb/Foru...TML/000430.html