Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

My 2nd Anniversary

Well tomorrow marks the second anniversary of when I tied my first fly B) It was a light cahill and although it looked like dog crap :lol: , I was extremely proud of it. I would just like to say thanks to everyone here for all your help, good advice, ,inspiration, and friendship. :cheers: Words just can't express the amount of gratitude I have for you guys.

Here's a picture of that first one. I still have it and everytime I look at it, it somehow gets uglier :lol:

IPB Image

Well, if it's been two years then there's no going back now - you're hooked.

I must say, attempting to tie a Light Cahill on your first outing is both brash & fearless !

From the photo it doesn't look all that bad - if you tied a green weenie you would

have came off looking like a pro !

A guy I know who used to run a shop, tied flies to stock the display case. He would put the

'rejects' into his own fly boxes and let me tell you - the times I fished with him the trout NEVER

had a problem sipping in those rejects !

I was a reasonably accomplished wet fly tyer before I attempted any Catskill dry

flies like the Cahill - if I remember rightly my first half dozen attempts all met

the 'death by razor blade' fate even before they got off the vise !

Keep on cranking !

Wow, that does look like crap. ;) You really have come a long way in a very short time relatively speaking. Your realistics are amazing and I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks Guys :lol: It's crazy how much I've learned about tying and fly fishing these past 2 years, and the best part of all is I learn not only something new every day, I learn somethings new every day about tying or fly fishing.

I just tied a couple Light Cahills, heres a pic of one tied today.

In my own defense I haven't tied a dry in months :ripped: :lol: I'll make sure to do real good on the one I tie tomorrow, still a heck of a lot better than the first one B)

IPB Image

Heres a pic I just took of the first one, this picture proves it is geting ugglier B)

IPB Image

i wish I still had my first fly...your classic gray Adams...a grayling trout got it when the tippet snapped (could have been a failed knot too...started to tie when i started to fly fish)