Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dsaavedra

DEER HAIR FLIES

No matter what deer hair fly you see your find you will be able to pull them under with sinking line.

As mentioned above there are some baitfish patterns that are ment to be fished on the surface. I am sure you have seen baitfish congregate near the surface of the water and these flies imitate that...

I think the biggest reason to use deerhair on subsurface flies is to get bulk without density. Many of the deerhair patterns are made to push some water. The bouyancy is overcome - as other have said - with lead or bead-chain eyes, or lead wraps.

Check out a Mirrolure Fly. It is nearly neutrally bouyant

post-4245-1168910316_thumb.jpg

Not all minnows are actively swimming under water.

Sometimes, minnows may be wounded (by a dam) or dying, and they can be found floating low in the surface film. The minnow pattern in the link below utilizes such concept:

http://homepage.mac.com/kencube/kencube02/...ges/Image1.html

Imagine a wounded minnow, floating low on its side in the surface film and being transparent when back-lit by the sun.

It may be good to have an assortment of streamers that cover the varying depth of water, low-floating as well as deep-sinking patterns. Also, poppers are very effective for trout, not just for bass.

There is a baitfish called 'Alewife'. I've seen these guys at a local lake where they travel in shoals

and break the surface in unison - I'm told this was as a result of being chased by predatory trout.

A reliable information source I know mentioned the presence of this baitfish in some rivers he fished also.

A guy familiar with the lake told me that a floating muddler with some silver flash was the 'go-to' fly

when casting into these surface disturbances.

Hi Guys,

I may have missed it if one of you already mentioned it but don't forget that hair gets water logged and will sink. A Tip: If you really want a muddler/sculpin, etc. to sink, tie the body using a strip of chamois <SP. Once it gets wet it sinks like a rock. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

ok. will try. but when you say tie the body, what do you mean. like on a muddler for example, do you mean use chamios instead of tinsel?

Yes, I used to use chenille over wrapped lead wire for my weighted muddlers. Since discovering about chamois I don't wrap any more lead on the weighted ones. I put tinsel bodies on the unweighted muddlers that I apply fly floatant so they will not sink.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

I think the biggest reason to use deerhair on subsurface flies is to get bulk without density. Many of the deerhair patterns are made to push some water. The bouyancy is overcome - as other have said - with lead or bead-chain eyes, or lead wraps.

JJD makes a good point about getting bulk w/o density. If you look at a sculpin, they have broad flat heads. You are limitied with the number of materials that you can get that effect from. Just remember to keep it fairly sparse so the water can get deep into the head. Also you can use a conehead with a lot of the subsurface flies that have spun heads, if you really want to add weight.