Fly Tying

Krystal Eggs???

Well with the recent shipment I got in a couple packs of Krystal Eggs because I was curious to inspect them and see what you guys thought of them. I must say they look just as nice in person as what they do in the catalog and I am impressed with how durable they seem to be. They have some type of material in the core that is very tough and it seems that it will hold up quite well. I really hate tying glo-bugs, always have, always will and this is a piece of cake. It also adds that sparkle that I have not seem people achieve with normal egg yarn.

What do you guys think? I know it's not really fly tying but hell if it gets me away from tying glo-bugs I'm all for it. wink.gif

user posted image

They work great Smallie. Oregon Cheese has always produced here in Michigan for me. I use the bigger sizes and other colors on ESL's too.

Mike

I'm the same as you when it comes to tying eggs Will. I descovered those things a few years ago and love them. I rarely tye eggs anymore. I use them on ESL's, and even tye in a viel like a nuke on alot of them.

Two things I have learned about these eggs though. 1: Store them away from light. They bleach out very easily. 2: when placing them on the hook, first dress a small area with thread where you intend to place the egg. Then squirt a drop of crazy-glue, Zap-A-Gap, or the like to keep it secured before you slide the egg into place. Regular head cement won't hold them in place very long after they've been fished a while.

Al

If you wish to at least tie a little, Bear Andrews has a Krystal egg that is Estaz wrapped in egg shape w/ a veil of lighter colored glo-bug yarn...has worked well for me in sizes 10 and 12 in fall on hot fish and in spring around snow-melt and high/dirty water.

Derek

These eggs are nice in low water conditions as well as high. The eggs absorb water very rapidly and sink like a rock. I dont mind tying glo bugs as they have been a staple for me for years. --K. Burtis

They work great will,matter of fact that last night over in PA when you and kieth stayed after me and chris left thats what i was using right before we left and landed that 1 fish that i kept. Got him on a chartruse krystal egg,i dont mind tyin eggs but these work very well.

They also make tyin egg sucking leeches alot faster when your in a hurry for a trip!

SD

I have used them before too. They are nice. I never thought about using them with ESL's. Great idea guys!!!! Will have tie some ESL like that now.

Wow!

Krystal eggs?

Egg-sucking leeches?

You guys are on another planet!

ohmy.gif

And I feel guilty if I fish a mayfly with a long tail!!!

biggrin.gif

Guys.

I take it all back!

Looking through a current Sportfish (UK) catalogue, in the Steelhead section I found (under the Egg Sucker Zonker - purple and black, and Golden Bullets - black, olive, and purple) Egg Sucking Leeches!!

Please note - for those coming over to the UK, you may not be allowed this fly on the more exclusive chalkstreams! biggrin.gif