Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dsaavedra

Irresistible

Try using Gel Spun Poly thread for spinning your deer hair. Thin diameter with strong breaking strength.

Ditto on the double edged razor blades, but be careful - they are sharp and thin.

Chris Helm markets a Hair Packer for deer hair that works really well.

Do not use bucktail for your spinning, save it for your streamers. IMHO - Whitetail deer works the best mule deer second - just look for quality hair that will flare and spin - Nature's Spirit packages some great hair.

Ditto on using the double edged razor blades -- but a basic safety tip -- break them in half so they are a single blade. They are easier to use then, and more flexible.

alright. ill have to get a few. where can i get some?

i decided to get a lil weird, and i tied one without hackle. i REALLY wanted this one to float, so i spun deer hair and trimmed it to size in place of hackle. :hyst: it works pretty well, but the tail was a lil too flexible to support the weight of the front. i coated the tail in head cement to stiffen it up so it could support the weight.