Fly Tying
osprey

Polar Aire, Polar Fiber

I've been reading on this forum about Polar Aire. I'd like to try it. I can't find anyone who sells it. Cabela carries a product called "Polar Fibers." Somebody else sells "Polar Fibres." Are these all the same product, and if not which is the best and where can I buy it?

I'm interested in using the material (primarily) on Clouser Minnows.

-- Paul

Though they are similar in consistency and action, I think that they are slightly different. Polar fiber seems straighter and more... solid. Polar Aire is a bit crinkly, and very soft in texture. (Unless I got them backward. I'm not at home.) I use White Fiber for Clouser bellies and the Aire for the lateral and back.

They are slightly different products. This is where I got my Polar Aire, Grand River Troutfitters, http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com

You can mail order it from them, just tell 'em I sent ya wink.gif

Actually, I will be seeing them this Sunday at the annual Spring Fishing Show in Toronto and can pick up some Polar Aire if anyone is interested? I think it's about 8 bucks a pack Canadian, for quite a large chunk of it (8" by 10" approx)

Just shoot me a PM if you'd like me to pick you up a pack or two.

Cheers,

Nick, I'd be interested and happy to accept your offer if the sizes weren't so large. Commercial tier size. When I get some I'd like a few colors. I need to find a smaller size.

Thank, though.

-- Paul

I use Polar Fiber/Fibre to make small minnow patterns, 1-4 inches long. It's biggest selling point for me is that tapers naturally and takes permanent markers well. Makes a good looking baitfish pattern. Not sure I'd use it for the wings on Clouser though. I was going to try some PolarAire this year, but saw something called Fish Fiber that looks more suited to the patterns I tie.

Nick, the GrandRiverTroutfitters is a nice shop. I've been in there several times over the last 5 years. Picked up some large packs of quality CDC for $8 canadian. Same size that they were charging $16 for back here in the states. Do you know any of the people in Grand Rivers Guide CO-OP?

Hey Philly,

Yeah Troutfitters is a nice shop. The only people I know from that neck of the woods are Ken Collins, the owner of Troutfitters and a few other guys associated with Grindstone angling (Ted Knott, Don Whiting, etc..)

Believe it or not, I have never fished the Grand to date. I'm hoping to spend at least a week there this year, but with it being 4 hours away, and other residential borwn waters only 30 mins away, it's hard to get out there.