Fly Tying
Alex C.

On the Fence about a Camera

As some of you know from my previous posts, I'm saving up for a Digital SLR camera. I got a big fly order the other day that will pay for one of my top 2 choices by itself(50 dozen :help: ) so it looks like I'll be getting my camera sooner than I had planned. Plus I'll have the money I have saved so far to use towards accessories.

I have been leaning toward the Canon Digital Rebel XTI over the Nikon D80. I think I'll be happy with either, but the supposed user friendliness of the Canon, the lower price, and smaller size have me leaning it's way. I'm about as green as it gets when it comes to "advanced" photography so the Canon might seem like the right choice for me until I get things half way figured out. Then I might kick myself in the butt for not going with the Nikon since it seems to have a wider range of options as far as settings go. I've read many product reviews on each and have yet to see either in person. As far as lens' go, both seem to be pretty equal except the Canon's are probably easier to clean and they have the ones with image stabilization.

If it were you, which would you go with, and why? If you were me, which would you go with and why?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

The Nikon's are bigger and heavier but to me, that is a good thing. My main reason for choosing Nikon is they at least seem to be built more solid. The Canon's just seem to be almost too light and plasticy(is that a word?).

Nikon makes image stabilazation lenses as well.

I'm sure both would suit your needs but I don't think the Canon is any more beginner friendly then the Nikon. Both have "auto" settings where it basically turns it into a point and shoot camera until you learn why you would want to do custom setting in certain situations.

A buddy of mine was thinking the same thing when he had his Cannon (even going from a XTI to a 30D? I think those were the models).....That it was too light and felt 'flimsy' was the word he used.

Now he has a few Nikon's...a D80 and a D2x which after seeing some pics he's done i'm looking at the D80 with a 135mm lens for myself. :headbang:

Really you can't go wrong with either dude. But Will is right, the Canon does feel a little too light and plasticy. I had a Canon Elan 7E and have been looking at the digital rebel and Nikons. In the end, you have to do the ol "get the best that you can afford" even if you have to save longer.

I'm with Will. The Rebel series from Canon definitely have a cheap, plastic-y feel, though they do take excellent photos and feel comfortable in the hand (I too have small hands - no 'small hand, small...' jokes funny guys. <_<)

I haven't had a Nikon in hand so I can't say much about it. Well I did take a few photos with Grahams and it was sweet!

Another thing to consider Alex is the Canon 30d. It is a much sturdier and better built magnesium body (not plastic), with plenty of bells and whistles. I know it is more than either body you are looking at, but Canon has a double rebate going on if you get the 30d body and a qualifying lens or flash. That knocks $200 off the price of the 30d body getting it down to $974 (Amazon), which is a steal. Get the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens for $369 ($409 less 2x$20 rebate) and you're in business. At least for starters...

I got a Rebel package from Nick just a little bit ago and liked it so much I gave the whole shebang to the gal as a Bday present and upgraded myself to the 30d. Damn nice camera. :headbang:

This probably won't be much help but...

My 35mm camera is a Pentax. Most of my friends have Nikons. They could all share equipment. If somebody was going on a trip they could grab an extra body and maybe a lens they didn't have from a friend and be set. They would actually make purchases based on what others already owned. I was stuck with only what I owned.

So when I made the jump to digital I was looking at Canon and Nikon. My friends for the most part went Nikon, so remembering the Pentax thing I went with Nikon also.

Like me most my friends are professional photographers (or were at one time) so my situation is kind of unique. Still if you have a friend with a lot of equipment you might consider getting something compatible.

Hard to go wrong with either system though. My brother has a Canon and really likes it.

Hi group,

Like Alex, I'm faced with a decision regarding a DSLR. I'm looking at the Nikon D80 (10mp) or the Fugi S3 (12mp). The Fugi accepts Nikon lenses and costs a bit more but $ isn't my main issue. I'd just like to buy a camera that's not going to be completely outdated in 6 months. Your thoughts, please. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Al, personally I would go with the Nikon. To put it simply Nikon has been making SLRs for a very long time and I would trust them with my $$$ before I would give it to Fuji who is relatively unknown in the SLR field.

hey alex. I have a sony slr and it's awesome. It's also very reasonably priced. Just saying you might take a look before jumping to conclusions. Who knows you could be happy and save the bucks. :dunno: