Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Shaq

Purple SPey Thingy

post-1948-1170008171_thumb.jpg

post-1948-1170008152_thumb.jpg

I finally have some Rhea Feathers thanks for Davidstrout and I spent a few minutes experimenting

Here is something which may get wet tnext weekend...

On a side note, Davidstrout was down tying at the Down and Trout booth at Somerset and he was mesmorizing everyone with his unique and ghreat looking "Squimpish" flies. If you are around, check it out.

Thanks

That's cool Shaq. Love the colors. Should be a fun one to hang onto while on the swing.

Wish I knew davidstrout was going to be there.....I would have went to the show.

My dad and few friends went to the show and said it was the same ol' stuff, just a few more hot brazilian chickas than last year.

Frank

I go to the show to buy specific things every year. I make a once around and then hit Stone river for Blue Eared Pheasant, they sell it dyed, This year specifically to find Rhea and I bought a fishing grade Jungle cock skin for $50 so that was a deal even though it has many splits but I figure it's gonna get wet. Some comparadun hair I like from Stone River and colors of arctic fox. Then I go through my stuff the week before and make a list. 2 things. The Show is on the Calendar all year so my wife knows I will be spending money and coming home with a box of stuff and I get to play with the STUFF for hours without someone waiting in the car, exhaling heavily or me rushing to get to the stream. The show is good for that, well worth the admission price, but the deals left with the 90's.

I did the same thing as far as the JC goes. Contacted one of the guys on ebay and offered him $150 for 3 jc necks. Beautiful color and lots of feathers, but a lot of splits. Since I got them for fishing flies the splits don't bother me.

Glas you sound some rhea. Was it glycerined or burned at all?

I've always liked the comparadun from Blue Ribbon Flies. Lots of great skins for soft hackles too.

Can't wait to see more!!

Frank